Attaching Default Symbol Records From Database

Hi,

I have a rather large database that contains all the data I want to attach to my symbol library. I have managed to connect the database to Vectorworks, and can now attach records from my database table to any objects in my drawings.

My problem arises when I want to attach the records from my database to a symbol default records. I select my symbol in the Resource Browser, edit 3d component, and go to data. It now reads *SYMBOL DEFAULTS*. I can now attach any records manually, but this is not what I need. I want to attach the records from my database like I can do with a selected object, but when I press the "Object Database Connection"-button I get a message that says that I need a single object to do this. So how can I by default connect my database to the default records? I have one way that kinda works. I can select an object inside the symbol and connect all my data this way, sort of indirectly to my symbol. But this way my records are not visible from outside the symbol, so it isn't exactly elegant. But the goal of being able to write out bill of materials are sort of achieved.

Anyone know if there exist a solution to my problem?

Thanks

Edited by onyhus

By database I mean a MS-access file that contains the tables of data I want to link to my symbols in Vectorworks. An example could be Butterfly valve DN100 PP, that have column entries of Type:Butterflyvalve, Nominal Diameter:100, and Material:Polypropylen.

I have linked my database file to my Vectorworks document. Then made a record format from the database, which gives a record with "Type", "Nominal Diameter" and "Material" as posts.

I can now use the record for any object in my document. I just click the object of choice, e.g. a symbol of the abovementioned valve, and then choose to link it to the entry in my database that fits its description. When I now change the entries in my database file, the record format in my Vectorworks file also changes.

Now to the thing I don't know how to do (if it is even possible).

When I go into the symbol from my resource browser, and tries to link my database to the default symbol records I can't. At least I don't know how to do it.

Hoped it cleared up my problem description a bit.

Thanks for any replies.

This shouldn't be possible as a symbol definition is not an object of your drawing, it is a resource. Connecting it to a db would be illogical.

You can manually set default values for the fields of the record you attach to the database. Then when placing a symbol it will use that default value to load information from your db.