Communicating Ideas

I love where digitalmechanics is going with all of this. It has been my contention for a while that "drafting" as we know it is on its way out. I like how DM has incorporated labeling and storypoles into his models. I think VW should take a close look at this and work to incorporate those to things as tools into the workspace. I could also see a future where a sheet layer is a repository for small virtual scenes rather than a static 2d viewport. The user is able to pan and zoom and dimension what they need to see from each scene.

what i am finding out in this project (which has city officials, consultants, civil, architects, structural, electrical, etc) their needs to be someone who tells a story or gives a "daily weather" report.

even if we were all working in 3d and sharing (which were not) the reality is that only maybe one person from each discipline really can navigate the 3d environment. which means the concept of having a 3d model in the cloud were everyone can review (like BIM+) is mentally challenging & few are going to invest the time to learn.

so i see communicating ideas (as shown above) with a narrator has a big value.

the video that was shown got sent out to the team a few days ago and it has made such a stir that we now have a solution. compare that with me sending an email w/ a paragraph of text or pdf sheets to the team for commenting.

im also finding out that IFC models are huge and take a lot of time to generate at the end of the day. this is crippling.