BIM - Slabs

zoomer

Next question, Slab Styles.

So far I tend to set all my Styles and Plugin Symbols to have everything assigned

by Component and Class to keep everything "parametric".

I realized that will limit to 2,5D Materials for the Slab case.

Do you use Material by Object, to assign different (wall) Materials to the vertical

Sides or any other tricks in practice ?

I always use attributes by class, as you can control everything by it and in the long run, your far better off. Imo they should ban attribute settings and only allow by class (except for some cases).

Why would 'by component' limit your 2.5D materials? in 2D, you see the attributes of the class of the object itself, in 3D and sections, you will see the components' attributes.

Why do this? The benefits are that there no longer are wall, slab, stair, roof etc component classes, just material and finishes classes. Also these classes can relate directly to my finishes schedules.

We'll, I also tried it, but in the end, it's still better to have those 'material' classes duplicated per context, as you can then change their attributes in viewport overrides if needed, plus being more specific in the criteria in reports and schedules. It makes it way easier. A good class structure and a nice setup library makes this so easy to work with....

Ooooooooooooooops,

I realized I was overtaken by a lot of new posts.

Very good tips and opinions from everybody, I learned a lot.

It has gotten a very interesting thread !

With 2,5D Material I meant that I can apply different Materials to one Slab

when assigned by Object, but only one when by Class.

But realized it won't be needed for my workflow.

And I too think that Classes are thought for sorting Objects, not Materials.

Like Doors vs Windows, ...

It is just VW's Material Management and Assignments that forces me too

to misuse Classes and Class Names for Materials.

And yes, I always forget about that Hybrid Object Things in Plan View.

(Like Slab and Floor vs Extrude) and

that these are accessible for 2D Modifier Tools or

that Modifier Tool may be a family member of the Push Pull Tool, just for

Sub Object Mode ...

Still I think this is a Bug, or a Feature Request in VW terms.

With the Reshape Tool you can edit the Boundary but not the Modifiers.

For Example, you want to change your Stair Opening, you have to go to the

Edit Modifiers - where the context will be hidden again, so you are blind and

can't snap to anything.

You have to edit Modifiers, delete your Shape, go back out of edit Mode,

redraw the new one on do the Add/Clip Surface again.

Editing Slabs has to work like with Symbols, Extrudes, .... with visible Context.

Still I think this is a Bug, or a Feature Request in VW terms.

With the Reshape Tool you can edit the Boundary but not the Modifiers.

For Example, you want to change your Stair Opening, you have to go to the

Edit Modifiers - where the context will be hidden again, so you are blind and

can't snap to anything.

You have to edit Modifiers, delete your Shape, go back out of edit Mode,

redraw the new one on do the Add/Clip Surface again.

Editing Slabs has to work like with Symbols, Extrudes, .... with visible Context.

Just draw the shape of the hole on top of the slab, and then subtract that shape from the slab, it's like subtracting two shapes....

Regarding classes, yes they are for signifying what something is, but they can also define the material of (or within) that what.

And so (reiterating what I touched on earlier), I have classes for objects like walls eg. Wall-External, Wall-Internal, Wall-Half Height, Wall-Exist etc, and structure eg. Structure-Slab, Structure-Framing, Structure-Column etc, but also seperate classes for the components within those objects eg. Component-Concrete, Component-Brickwork etc.

What you may not be aware of is, that if you place most of your objects to be set to their class settings, you can override these class settings in the class popup in your sheet layer viewports. So not only can you then change the fills, hatches and textures etc but you can, selecting a sheet layer viewport in the Object Info Palette, Advanced Properties choose to show or hide wall components.

This means, at schematic design, you can use the components for 3D rendering, but turn them off in your plans to keep them simple, and turn on a sketch style for the hand drawn look. Then when you advance to the next stage, you can turn the components back on, and voila! They are back. Hope that helps.

What you may not be aware of is, that if you place most of your objects to be set to their class settings, you can override these class settings in the class popup in your sheet layer viewports. So not only can you then change the fills, hatches and textures etc but you can, selecting a sheet layer viewport in the Object Info Palette, Advanced Properties choose to show or hide wall components.

This means, at schematic design, you can use the components for 3D rendering, but turn them off in your plans to keep them simple, and turn on a sketch style for the hand drawn look. Then when you advance to the next stage, you can turn the components back on, and voila! They are back. Hope that helps.

One of the main reasons to always use attributes by class!