Keynotes: maintain 'first 42 characters' setting when copying callouts

Markus Barrera-Kolb

Question

We typically place keynotes by copying existing keynote callouts and then entering new text. We rarely, if ever, title individual notes – rather we check the 'Use the first 42 characters of the note for the description' checkbox in the Edit Note dialog box.

However, when you generate a new note by copying an existing one, VW unchecks this box, so that after a good session of placing keynotes, you end up with a nice long list of identically titled notes in your Notes Manager – not very user friendly!

Then you have to edit each of the new notes manually and re-check that option. VW should keep the setting when notes are copied and updated, and it'd also be handy to have a general setting for the whole legend...

I agree that a complete overhaul of the callout and notes legend tool should be a priority for the next release. It's one of the more limited and least user-friendly aspects of the software. Considering how essentially notes are for documentation, this is really an enormous oversight. If a complete overhaul is not in the works, improving the current tool in the following ways would definitely help a lot:

1. allow categorical tags to be applied to notes. For example, I would tag many notes with their appropriate CSI category.
  2. provide search bar in the notes manager, allowing notes to be filtered by text or tag
  3. allow a single keynote legend to be placed on multiple sheets
  4. allow a single note to be applied to multiple legends.
  5. allow worksheets to be created from notes database.

Thanks,

mg

• Like 1
On 10/17/2017 at 10:36 AM, mgries said:

I agree that a complete overhaul of the callout and notes legend tool should be a priority for the next release. It's one of the more limited and least user-friendly aspects of the software. Considering how essentially notes are for documentation, this is really an enormous oversight. If a complete overhaul is not in the works, improving the current tool in the following ways would definitely help a lot:

1. allow categorical tags to be applied to notes. For example, I would tag many notes with their appropriate CSI category.
  2. provide search bar in the notes manager, allowing notes to be filtered by text or tag
  3. allow a single keynote legend to be placed on multiple sheets
  4. allow a single note to be applied to multiple legends.
  5. allow worksheets to be created from notes database.

Thanks,

mg

Agree with this list completely.

For 1. I use the CSI number as a prefix to a keynote callout and place it into the same numbered legend effectively sorting keynotes into CSI numbered legends.

For 2. It would be great to have a "find a callout" command in the keynote legend dialogue box. Sometimes I want to remove a callout from a legend but this can only be removed by deleting the callout. So I have to go through the whole file searching through my many callouts until I find the offending one to delete. 

For 5. Also linking callouts and worksheets would be a fantastic so that worksheets could access a keynote database and/or callouts in a file.

Can I add an additional item to this list?

6. List Keynote legends in the OIP alphabetically and/or nummerically.

When choosing which Keynote legend to place a callout in the object info palette it would be great if the legends listed alphabetically and/or numerically (using sheet numbers). I use a lot of Keynote legends and finding the right legend to place the callout in a long list of seemingly randomly listed legends is annoying.

Edited by Boh
  • Like 1