VW 2016 Slow...

We are seeing unworkable slowdowns with VW2016, even after upgrading to brand new hardware. Particularly in files with many (30+) design layer viewports. And even more so when those DLVPs are externally referenced.

We're working with our distributor to try and determine the cause, but wondering if anyone is seeing the same. We use a 2D workflow and for large townhouse projects, we use DLVPs to "clone" buildings that are similar, as well as to place the buildings on a site plan.

It should be noted that we experienced none of this in VW2013, even on older hardware.

Many thanks.

Edited by BHArch
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Please get one of those files to Tech@vectorworks.net for testing. If it is too large to email, just send them a regular text email first and they can reply back with a link. Make sure to provide them with the following from your machine as well:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

We are tracking to make sure that the slowness issues we are already aware of have the same root.

Hi Jim & Peter,

I wanted to connect the dots here to make sure you, Jim, have Peter's files.

I buglisted the issue and two large sample files last Tuesday, November 10 at 5pm. The file number is: VB-128895

The performance slowdown of the strictly 2D files from v2013 to v2016 (and 2014 & 2015 along the way) is perplexing indeed.

Thanks for your help with this Jim!

-Neil

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone's benefit, I am following up with some results:

Between Paxar and VW, it was determined the the files exhibiting extreme slowness had "Unified View" disabled. It should be noted that our workflow is 2D (3D modelling is done in Sketchup) and as a result, we have never really paid any attention to that setting. From the best that I can determine, it was disabled when the users in question created Saved Views, and the "Save Unified View" checkbox was checked. Therefore, even if a user inadvertently enabled the setting, each execution of a saved view reset it it to disabled. The result was a slowdown in large files that made the application unusable. Curiously, we did not experience the same degree of slowdown in VW2013.

Our files are regularly between 75MB and 120MB in size and make use of between 20 and 50 design layer viewports, with many of those referenced.

Since fixing this (by simply enabling Unified View), we are seeing performance in line with expectations, and are enjoying the new features of 2016. Of course, it will take time to transition all of our projects into the new version, so we may be reporting back more info as that happens.

Many thanks to the VW tech team and Neil at Paxar.

Unified View can also be set to Off by default if the document, or the template it was created from, originated in the 2008 era or prior which is fairly common.

Generally, this should always be enabled and left on. There are a few legacy workflows that still go back and forth between it being on and off, but generally modern usage sees it on constantly and that's how nearly all stability and speed testing here is done.

• 9 months later...

We had the same problem, after the update to VW2016 everything was significantly slower in 2D.
We tried the Unified view, which made everything a lot faster. 

But I work with older colleges who have worked a lot of years with VW. They are used to work only in the design-layers 'like in the good old times' (no viewports) and by turning the unified view on, the layers all get on the same scale. Which is very confusing for them because the layers get on different positions all over the drawing. 

We didn't have this problem with the previous version (2015), no speed difference...

Is there anyone who has the same problem who found a solution? 

Our hardware is good enough for the 2016 version...

4 minutes ago, ThibautL00 said:

her you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30711611/iMac.spx

My Mac is a bit older, my colleges have a faster newer one (do you need their system information too?)

Yes please, this iMac is below the minimum specs for 2016 and 2017, so I would expect slowness compared to 2015 and older on it specifically. You might be able to mitigate this somewhat with Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics > Best Compatibility, however.