VW to C4D to VW

We currently use VW 2015 at my work and we would like to use Cinema 4D to cut down on how many rendering programs we use here. We currently use VW, 3ds Max, Sketchup (sometimes), and FormZ. I know that I can go to VW and either export to C4D or send to C4D.

So with that in mind, I downloaded C4D R17 demo to try it out and so far, when I either send or export to C4D, I don't have an issue and it brings in everything that I set up in VW.

What I need to know is if I change stuff around in C4D, is there a way, other than exporting to a 3ds file, to go back to VW? I ask because 2 years ago, we bought C4D under the advisement of a design manager we no longer have. We were told at the time, by the sales rep, that we can go from VW to C4D and back again because the two programs can work in unison. Is there any truth to this?

We want to do this because we are having issues with files not being drawn correctly or stuff missing between the VW and 3d renderings. Our designers will do a floor plan in VW, but then do all the 3d in whatever 3d software and never transfer it back to the VW for when it goes to production.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

HI,

There is no built in reverse workflow, other then .3ds as you pointed out.

This is my unscientific understanding of this:

VW is a NURBS based parametric modeler that creates objects using computations to create most objects (not all) - draw a rectangle, extrude it into a cube and off you go. You can edit this parametrically - alter the original 2D rectangle and the 3D cube changes on the fly. Math.

Cinema 4D is a polygon based modeling program. Yes, it has a strong spline system, but objects that are brought into Cinema are converted to polygons (and usually triangulated). It seems impossible to convert polygonal geometry into nurbs based objects on the fly if you were going the other way.

Not sure if that helps any. Anytime I have to return objects to VW from Cinema via .3ds, I rebuild them in VW to clean them up and stay consistent with VW standards.

e.

Edited by EAlexander

That makes perfect sense. Whenever one of the designers at work draws up something that needs to be brought into VW, I usually rebuild it and make it native otherwise when I do the opengl views, it goes really slow or even crash.

Either way, I am going to push the C4D option to narrow us down on how many programs we use and ideally cut down on the amount of errors we have. The one problem I am going to run into is that they don't want to learn a new software, even if it makes their job easier.

Thanks for the response

I think you should start doing all 3D possible in VW.

It is not the most capable or ergonomic 3D software but still better suited for most

architectural geometry than the 3D packages you mentioned.

This way you have your complete 3D model in one App and can go on with further

development. If you have RW, which I think is still mandatory to have FBX Export

and the "Send to Cinema" at all, you can prepare most of the Visualization settings

for Cinema from within VW, like Cameras, Materials, Lights.

You can always do nice screenshots at any time directly from VW.

If you need higher resolution or animations you can export to Cinema and get the

same look with one click. Export to C4D is not perfect but still much better than what

you would get with standard export attempts into other 3D Apps.

Then there is nearly no need to reimport C4D geometry.

"Send to Cinema" to refresh the project in Cinema does still not work without loss

and problems for me and my projects, since I started with VW (2014).

Maybe the next Service Pack will help a bit.

I would like for our designers to do all in VW, especially since our headquarters in Germany says that we have to because we transfer files back and forth. The problem we run into with VW is coming up with organic shapes for signs and applying graphics to them. I am sure that there is a way to do it, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

I am hoping that when we upgrade to VW2016 some of the "issues" that our designers have will be resolved.

The problem we run into with VW is coming up with organic shapes for signs and applying graphics to them. I am sure that there is a way to do it, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Nothing to figure out - currently with VW it can't be done so you would have to use a 3rd party package.

The problem we run into with VW is coming up with organic shapes for signs and applying graphics to them.

Baut alles in VW,

Stellt dort auch Materialien, Kameras und Rendereinstellungen ein.

Dort könnt ihr weiterarbeiten und jederzeit Screenshots machen.

Wenn es, je nach Komplexität der Freiformflächen, geht und sinnvoll ist

baut auch diese Sachen in VW.

Wenn ihr einen Status habt wo ihr richtige Renderings braucht, exportiert

oder aktualisiert in C4D. Ihr könnt dort den selben Stand/Qualität sofort rendern.

Stellt die Materialien ein fach weiter in VW ein, und rührt die importierten Materialien

in C4D am besten gar nicht mehr an.

Dort habt ihr ein Nullobjekt/Obergruppe in der alles aus VW zusammengefasst

bzw. enthalten ist. Alles was ausserhalb dieser Gruppe ist wird auch beim

Aktualisieren nicht angegriffen/zerstört.

Die Freiformflächen die ihr in VW nicht richtig mappen könnt, kopiert ihr und

setzt sie oberhalb der VW Gruppe wieder ein. Deaktiviert dann die exportierten

Originale, schaltet sie unsichtbar.

Die Duplikate könnt ihr dann in C4D grenzenlos texturieren. Sollte sich die restliche

Geometrie mal ändern könnt ihr trotzdem noch aktualisieren ohne das etwas von der

C4D Arbeit zerstört wird.

Es bietet sich dann auch an weitere Dinge die in C4D mehr Möglichkeiten bieten aus

der VW Aktualisierungsgruppe heraus zu kopieren. Z.B. Kameras wegen Tilt/Shift Option,

ggf. die gesamte Beleuchtungsituation, oder die ganze Staffage wie Pflanzen, Autos,

Möbel etc. ausschließlich in C4D einzufügen.

Die importierten Originale einfach unsichtbar schalten (Für Viewport und Renderer)

Änderungen an den Sachen die in VW erstellt aber C4D bearbeitet wurden, müsst ihr

danach natürlich händisch aktualisieren. Könnt aber ggf. wieder auf die aktualisierte

Importgeometrie zurückgreifen.

Edited by zoomer