Symbol Referencing Problem

Hello All, I have decided to incorporate referenced symbols into my workflow. I was able to reference the symbol without problems but when it came to editing, it was a fail. The file I'm referencing from (I'll call it source file from now on) lives under the "VW User Folder" in favorites. The file I'm referencing to (I'll call it target file from now on) lives on the desktop per say. When I try to edit the referenced symbol it tells I have to update the out of date resource in order to continue with the editing process (even though on my navigation palette the referenced file looks up to date). I click yes to this updating process but nothing happens in the end, I can't get in to symbol editing mode. What would be causing this behavior? Anybody have a clue?

Edit1:

I reference with absolute path and NOT saving cache to target file by the way, if that would come in handy. If that's not a good way to reference resources please tell me so...

Edit2:

Happens on one symbol doesn't happen on another.

Edited by sle7en7