VW 2016 crashes

Has anyone else experienced random crashes in 2016?

I can't replicate causing the crash, but the effects are always the same:

Recent files list is reset.

Viewport double-click options are reset to default

Default 3d view is reset.

Any options set with the options button on the toolbar are reset to default

Basically any option that isn't saved in a workspace is reset to default.

All the pop-up hints are reset and pop-up again.

Most recent instance of the crash happened while clicking into "settings" on the OIP to edit a door. The same crash has also happened while setting Project Sharing related options, and at least one other occasion that I can't remember right now (sorry I don't have better info).

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Crashing would reset all of those. You might be able to solidify some of them by setting them to their desired state and then closing the application normally, then launching Vectorworks again. If the application only ever crashes to shut down, it will lose many "temp" settings like that.

It should keep them after a healthy restart, but after a crash there is always the possibility of losing settings unfortunately.

There is one, however it will say "Send to Apple" or something similar on a Mac but we get the report directly as well. If possible, always click that button to send the report if you are prompted for it.

(Some crashes will be so severe that error reporting is also knocked out.)

Not your fault at all, it depends on the nature of the crash whether it submits the data or not.

However you can check the Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Session tab, then near the bottom left there is an Error Reporting feature, set this to "send crash reports and usage data" and that will do most of it in the background after re-launching in the event of a crash.

Crash Crash Crash when I think about 2016 my heart sinks, I am so busy and each crash costs me up to 15 minutes to recover from, this leaves me absolutely no time to report the problem or check on the reason for it, but it is totally random.

Clicking onto anything be it a group, single item or a symbol can cause a crash, I reported it when I first loaded 2016 (along with slow text editing) and had hoped that SP1 would have sorted the problem, but alas that did not help.

The faster I need to work the more frequent the crashes usually about 3 a day, just that dreaded message 'Vectorworks has stopped working'

Never happened with 2015!!!

Same random crashing here in our office since I upgraded us to 2016 and despite installing SP1 :-(.

Such a disappointment and so much work involved bringing all templates and standards to the newer version and now I wish I could just go back to 2015, which seemed to be much more stable although we only had it for a month before the free upgrade.

We are not even using the BIM or 3D features, just simple 2D drawings and our specs exceed the system and hardware requirements by far.

Shall I just bite the bullet and re-install 2015 everywhere or is this issue going to be resolved anytime soon?

Austin and Berit, check the steps listed here:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=43487&Number=218339#Post217756

And see if you are able to replicate this.

dudurf: Reply back with the following from your machine and I can have a look, since the above mainly applies to Windows:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

Edited by JimW