Object Memory Size indication

Tom Klaber

Question

It would be nice to see how 'heavy' objects are. Sometimes your drawing will be acting slow. You can usually tell what objects are causing problems, but it would be nice if somewhere on the OIP you could see exactly how heavy an object is - and that way - if you make modifications - you can see how much lighter you are able to make it.

4 answers to this question

Sometimes it's the geometry, sometimes it's the textures and sometimes it's the lighting that adds rendering time.

I can see how this wish could be very difficult to implement.

How about a separate palette called 'Analysis' which displays a smiley. When nothing is selected, the happiness of smiley reflects the overall complexity of the current document with indicators for geometry, textures & lighting.

If I select a single object, I will get a complexity indication for that object alone.

If I select a viewport, I will a complexity indication for the scene.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Oh no, Clippy for Vectorworks!?

How about a separate palette called 'Analysis' which displays a smiley. When nothing is selected, the happiness of smiley reflects the overall complexity of the current document with indicators for geometry, textures & lighting.

[img:center]http://i.imgur.com/1LVTFqC.jpg[/img]

However overall the idea here is excellent. I regularly had to diagnose files in support that had gotten out of control, and very often it was a complete accident. A utility that could recommend purging, identify overly complex objects (this happens when importing from unknown sources all the time) and excessive duplicates would be very useful. Submitting request now.