Image crop export limit option in PDF export

Art V

Question

It would be useful to have an option in the PDF export that will allow us to only export the cropped part of an image to PDF instead of the entire image as it happens now.

Especially with larger images that have been cropped this may considerably reduce the file size of the exported PDF.

Edited by Art V
tags added

5 answers to this question

Bump, in case this has not been implemented yet.

Additional clarification for the request, this is for images that cannot be cropped in VW itself to reduce the file size (e.g. aerial images) as the whole image needs to be maintained in VW. When a viewport contains a cropped part of the image, exporting to PDF still exports the entire image and therefore increases the filesize. This can be solved in a PDF editor with the reduce file size option which would then crop the underlying image to the boundaries of the page/viewport and thus reduce the filesize. It would be nice if VW could take care of this when exporting to PDF as request above.

Edited by Art V
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Implemented! :-)

In VW 2017 you have a couple options to help reduce file size:

1. Select a cropped bitmap object, click on the "Delete Outside Crop" button in the Obj Info palette.

2. There's also an "Image Attributes" button (in the Obj Info palette) allowing you to change image compression and resolution of bitmap objects.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Implemented! :-)

In VW 2017 you have a couple options to help reduce file size:

1. Select a cropped bitmap object, click on the "Delete Outside Crop" button in the Obj Info palette.

2. There's also an "Image Attributes" button (in the Obj Info palette) allowing you to change image compression and resolution of bitmap objects.

CORRECTION: I jumped the gun on this.  The features I'm talking about are for bitmap objects in Vectorworks.

Apologies...

-Matt (in need of more coffee) Panzer

@Matt PanzerNo problem, for images where only that one part is necessary this is still useful, so it doesn't hurt to mention for those not aware this is available.

This export of the entire image despite using a crop thing can cause "bloat" in a PDF and possibly printing issues and not everyone knows/realises this entire image thing might be the culprit for getting large PDFs. It would be nice if VW could automatically crop the image areas outside viewports for PDFs, though there are other things that I would give higher priority if I would have to choose between this and those. Sometimes it are the convenient things that make it feel nicer to use.

7 minutes ago, Art V said:

@Matt PanzerNo problem, for images where only that one part is necessary this is still useful, so it doesn't hurt to mention for those not aware this is available.

This export of the entire image despite using a crop thing can cause "bloat" in a PDF and possibly printing issues and not everyone knows/realises this entire image thing might be the culprit for getting large PDFs. It would be nice if VW could automatically crop the image areas outside viewports for PDFs, though there are other things that I would give higher priority if I would have to choose between this and those. Sometimes it are the convenient things that make it feel nicer to use.

Understood. Some sort of "flatten" on PDF exports would be nice.

Wish submitted...