Exporting into a separate 3d file

Just curious, I am having major issues exporting a vectorworks 2016 model into 3d. If I go the IFC route, none of the geometry for walls or nurbs exports. If I export to 3ds, the windows are destroyed, and the walls start flying all over the place. Is there a single way to export all geometry and walls from Vectorworks 2016 without major problems???

Thanks you in advance for any comments !!

why are you trying to export it to 3D, where are you sending it?

I often send a PDF along with the native file for reference so that the other party can check if everything is still there or how it should look when they open it in their program.

For 3D this should apply as well, especially when sending the file in a different file format/version than the original.

Edit: sorry, misread this as being about 3D PDF export.

Edited by Art V
Just curious, I am having major issues exporting a vectorworks 2016 model into 3d. If I go the IFC route, none of the geometry for walls or nurbs exports. If I export to 3ds, the windows are destroyed, and the walls start flying all over the place. Is there a single way to export all geometry and walls from Vectorworks 2016 without major problems???

Thanks you in advance for any comments !!

If the purpose is exporting to another program for editing, you could try exporting to DWG or Collada and see how that turns out, assuming the other program can import these formats.

If it is only for presentation purposes outside Vectorworks then 3D PDF may be an option. Most good PDF viewers that can handle 3D PDF allow showing sections of the model in PDF if this is needed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not having Renderworks will limit you significantly, yes. I think you can export 3DS but there would be no textured maintained, there still is not a great workflow for going out to Sketchup yet unfortunately even if you do have Renderworks.

The IFC objects you weren't seeing would normally be caused by no IFC data being attached to them before export.