Major problem - corrupted file

I just attempted to open a major project file, and the file is damaged (error message: "-39 End of file reached during Read Attempt to read file FSREAD"). The recover file is missing an entire floor of walls, none of the saved sheets work, and there are 2 layers named Layer-1, the second of which contains a strange ungrouped window or door object.

Even if I can recover this project from yesterday's backup, I am faced with losing at least a day's work. More importantly, I have no idea what caused this problem to occur. Please advise. This file is approximately 25 MB.

VWA 10.1

WinXP

P4 2.2 Gh

1 G RAM

[ 04-10-2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

It has happened to us before, but very infrequently. What we do is go back to the last working iteration and save it as a new one. Then go into the corrupted file and copy any things that you can that will save you some time. Then in the new one, start drawing. If it was a days worth of work, it will probably take you a half a day to redraw it. It's one of the mysteries of working in a digital age...

Thanks for the input. Jim, have you ever developed any evidence about what caused the corruption? I've never had a file that was quite so large, and have never used NURBS tools before, so those are two of my main suspects.

Does anyone know the meaning of the error code? I would like to request that NNA programmers develop a bulletproof file save procedure, that would do error-checking to ensure that the file is saved correctly before the save file operation is considered complete.

[ 04-11-2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Pete,

The causes of that error message or endless.

When you saved the file, did you have any problems saving the file?

Did you save the file locally to the hard disk or straight to a network volume?

Did you have anything else running while VW was running/saving?

Did you save the file by going to File>Save, or just by closing VW, or clicking on the x in the upper right to close an application window?

Hi Katie, I saved this file hurriedly at the end of the day. I think I shut down VW and clicked on the "Save file" dialog box, which saves it directly to the office server via Ethernet. I probably then closed down Outlook and Windows Explorer, then shut down. I was in too much of a hurry to remember any detail.

VW 10.1

WinXP/Server = Win2K