What is the point of the zoom line thickness command....

..... under the vectorworks preferences - display section?

the way this works currently is pointless. I can see why you would wish to be able to differenciate between different thicknesses of lines to see how a printed drawing will look when complete, but some of the lines when drawn, ie .5mm thick, end up looking stupid on screen when you zoom in. this could also lead to very inaccurate drawings as you just end up with a black mess on screen.

it would be far more beneficial if this command was adjusted so the lines were the correct thickness in relation to each other regardless of zoom? ie always .5mm or whatever on screen

VW9.5.2

Win 2000

BAZ, zoom line thickness mode is intended to allow the user to see graphically the differences between line thicknesses. I use it only to check my line weights. Turning that mode off allows one to work with greatest accuracy, as all lines are displayed with minimal thickness in all magnifications. Trying to work in close with line thicknesses zoomed is like trying to look at a drawing with a microscope - as you say, if your magnification is high enough all you see is a screen of black.

If it worked as you suggest, we would not have WYSIWYG capability.

[ 04-10-2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

down load the plug-in found on Vector Depot for zoom line thickness. A menu command that turns the preference on and off.

I don't usually like to draw with the thick line weights for now, because my monitor is not good for it, but I use this command to make sure

- I dont have thick or thin lines in the wrong places before I waste a plot.

ok Katerina

downloaded script!! now what??

How do i get them to work? is there a particular folder that they should be stored in??

I have downloaded a number of scripts from the depot that i think may be useful

an idiots guide to installing scripts would be helpful please.

quote:

What is the point of the zoom line thickness command....

I was really surprised by the title of this thread, and by what other users have said here about their use of it. To each his own. As for me, the Zoom Line Thickness preference was the feature that impressed me most when I switched from AutoCad to VectorWorks. I wouldn't think of working without it. And it's closely linked to other superior VW features that allow most drafting to be done at about print-out size, so that you can see what the drawing looks like while working on it. "Drawing is seeing" is the time-honored aphorism, and it's easier to work on any kind of drawing if you can see it (as opposed to seeing some symbolic representation of it). In 5 years of use, I've never turned off Zoom Line Thickness, except once when cleaning up a sloppy file drawn by someone else, in which there were snap points so close to being co-linear that a line's thickness concealed points not on the line. Until reading this thread, I wouldn't have guessed that anyone would work with ZLT off.