model not rendering correctly

brigx01

Hi -

I have been reading through all the posts of rendering problems, but still can't figure what is going wrong in my case.

My model, built out of solids, mesh and extrudes is not rendering correctly. (and I used rendered models before, but not in VW16)

The artistic rendering is working somewhat, the shaded polygon is rendering one extrude, the other extrudes, solid and mesh remain as wire. The fast renderworks mode renders very few objects, the rest of the model stays blank and only with hoovering over it the wire model becomes temporarily visible.

For a test I stripped the file down to the model only, purged, and also deleted all objects far from the origin.

Anything else I could try? I am getting desperate to meet a dead line.

Thank you!

General

•Every object needs solid fill or fill plus texture to render. Otherwise you get wireframe. eg image fill does not render, but an image texture does render. Some objects, eg symbols, walls and others, may have nested components that do not share the overall attributes or textures. Edit these objects to apply desired fill or texture to components.

•If Layer Visibility is set to Gray Others or Gray Snap Others, reset to any of the Show Others options.

Design layer render?

•Copy/paste a problem object into a new blank file and try to render it. If fail, post that file to this forum. If successful render, problem might be a corrupt object in source file. Paste small bunches of objects into the new file and test render. Add objects until render fails or all are transferred. Corrupt object will be in the most recent paste. If render works in new file with all objects transfered, can you just use the new file?

Sheet Layer Viewport render?

Check the Class List for classes with overrides that defeat the render. Adjust the overrides as nec.

•Textures converted from about v2011(?) and before need to be replaced with new version textures. Best to use the new version ones or remake custom textures in the new version.

Some other things to check for the problem objects:

•Visibility issues (eg renders) are most often related to class settings.

•If attribute set to By Class, then edit the class to confirm these things:

••Fill Style is set to Solid (pick a color)

••Enable Use Textures at Creation and tick the appropriate boxes in Wall, Roof & Other tabs

••Enable the option for Use At Creation if you want objects added to this class to acquire the settings. As a test, toggle the class of a problem object out of this class, then back in.

•Is the selected object OIP Render tab showing Overall? or By Part . . . Try the Overall.

That's a start.

-B

It sounds like you have a corrupt object that is hogging all the resources. Try to identify the gremlin:

Do you have any Extrude Along Paths in there. Move them to another file & delete them and retry.

Have you any imported meshes - do the same.

I think you will quickly find the culprit.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all so much for your responses!! Just getting around to try out all the valuable tips. Unified view was on, I checked that. I had no idea that I have to assign new texture/fill to an older model.Benson was absolutely right, the mesh model was an import from a 2012 project, thought it was originally on VW12, but anyway, applying new texture was all what it needed to work.

The "eliminating" process, and reducing the file to the model only, which I did before, helped at least with fewer crashes.

There were no objects far from the origin, so that it would show huge numbers on the ruler.

I am working my way through with walls and all other objects, very hopeful now to get it done.

bigx01

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

A binary search strategy is also good when we get a file and we don't yet know where the problem is. For that, you may make each layer visible until you see which layer the problem is on. Then delete half the model, if the problem goes away the problem object is in the half you deleted. Undo to put it back and delete the other half. Continue deleting the remaining 1/2 of the model until you find the one object that is the problem. I save my changes as "01", "02" etc. Sometimes you get to say version 26 of the file before you find which object is bad.