Data Fields for Windows and Doors

Markvl

Are we able to show data in the worksheets/reports for info we place in the "User Field 1-10" fields? I can't seem to do that.

For instance I can us this function =(Window.Accessories) for what ever info I place in the "Accessories" field but it won't show info that I place using this function =(Window.UserField1) in the "User Field 1" field.

Is there something I'm missing within the function?

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Another thing,

Do you native american speakers like the Terms of parts used in Windows and

Door Tools ?

It is hard for me to understand and remember.

For example, in other english Apps the VW "Jamb" is just called "Window Frame"

which is much easier to understand for me.

A lot of it is just matching industry vocabulary, although there are a lot of discrepancies between US and UK terminology, even though they're both English.

Another thing I'm trying to do is get a window that is used several times in a plan to show its total count in my quantity row without the worksheet making a row for every window regardless of similarity. I've tried using the sum feature that you drag into the row but I'm getting unwanted results (meaning its collapsing most of the worksheet).

The column in the data row is simply using the function "=count"

Help.

Another thing I'm trying to do is get a window that is used several times in a plan to show its total count in my quantity row without the worksheet making a row for every window regardless of similarity. I've tried using the sum feature that you drag into the row but I'm getting unwanted results (meaning its collapsing most of the worksheet).

The column in the data row is simply using the function "=count"

Help.

Take a look at michaelk's worksheet webinar, specifically right around the 29:00 minute mark. Hopefully it'll answer your question.

Worksheet Webinar : verysmallgroup.com

Another thing,

Door Tools ?

A lot of it is just matching industry vocabulary, although there are a lot of discrepancies between US and UK terminology, even though they're both English.

Even with the Dutch translation there are language issues, as it is translated in Belgium and they sometimes use terminology that is technically speaking correct but it's use is sometimes outdated in The Netherlands and it takes a moment (or a dictionary :grin: ) to realise what it means.

My guess is it might be similar for the German and French translations as these are official languages in multiple countries with regional differences.

Maybe an Esperanto version of Vectorworks should be introduced? :)

Another thing,

Door Tools ?

@zoomer: If these other English apps you mention are using 'Window Frame' to describe the Jambs (Head & Side Jambs) and the Sill - then I would argue that those other apps are using inaccurate terminology. Because a Sill is very different from the Jambs.

I find the Window & Door terminology used in Vw to be generally correct per US industry standards. (Isn't there a German localized version of Vw?)

OK, so it is US English and if US natives are fine with, it it is good.

So it where UK people wondering about terms like me.

Yes, there is a localized german version which I highly recommend for

serious architectural use. (Which I don't do)

What I'm looking for is just a way to make the terms user editable.

No matter what language industry vocabulary people use.

I saw someone here from Kazakhstan, which may never get a localized version

and may find such a feature useful too.

Zoomer you are on to something that I had hoped there might be though where I was thinking was being able to customize the field names under the data tabs in doors and windows as other fields within the plug-in are not illustrating things to my liking. It is I'm assuming a kind of built in "record" but can't be changed in some other system folder.

Right now I've got info in the data tab under the "user Field #" portion and I've got to periodically check another hard copy of those fields what the info I placed there refers to.

If you have VSS there is a video about localizing for plugin developers.

I did not understand the video completely but it looks like there were

tables similar to our Document Settings > Standard Naming

So if VW would look on start for such a table in project settings first, and

if there is use that - that would be great.

It is not only about terms in Tools that I would like to change.

It is more about standard classes that Tools use.

For example I can't stand things like that "Glazing-Clear" class always being

created.