Ceilings, Slabs and Walls on same layer?

Christiaan

Now that we have layer-less levels what are you doing with your structural slabs and ceilings?

We've kept these on separate layers historically but with layer-less levels I've been thinking about merging them onto the same layer as the floor plan/walls, in order to decrease the number of layers we have.

Any thoughts on why this might still be a bad idea?

Of course I have everything that belongs to a Story, including Slabs,

on one Layer, or at least one Story Level.

The Slab included is always the Floor Slab, under the Story Level,

that way I can always look into my Story from above in 3D :

Top Slab Level = about -0,2 m

Bottom Slab Level = about -0,5 m

Maybe I need 3 Layer per Story to divide complexity, but never different

Layer heights for one Story. That would destroy the Level System with the

"Level of Story above/below" System.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Christiaan,

I'm still thinking that IF you have a different "Z" for your Finish Floor as opposed to you Structural Slab's "Z", that you may want to draw walls on the Finish Floor layer so the door sills work out.

For Project Sharing, it might also mean that you have MORE layers to accommodate additional team members working on the project. For example, a Furniture Layer.

Wes

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Christian,

As Wes says, there are definite benefits for project sharing by having multiple layers per storey. Also if you have less layers, you are going to require more classes.

Finally, also it can depend on what design/documentation phase you are in. For design concept work, maybe you use a reduced layer set, but for documentation you add in those extra layers. With the layerless levels, it makes it easy to add layers later. And provided any new layers are assigned to the correct storey, this not should not affect your objects assigned levels.

TD

PS Something that could be useful is to assign symbols and various other symbol/hybrid objects (other than wall, roof, and slab) heights by level. Eg. Assign wall mounted lights to a level. What do you think?