Finally get rid of scale settings for design layers please!

VvierA

Question

In former times (before sheet layers were introduced) the scale settings for design layers were needed to print several scales on one plan.

Since we have sheet layers (and even viewports for design layers) we don't need scale settings for design layers.

With the BIM concept: Does it really make sense to build the model of a building with a certain scale setting for example 1:50 if I'd like to generate drawings with lots of different scales?

I don't think so.

Instead I'd like to see, that all annotation and labelling tools get to work properly within the 'annotation space' of a viewport.

With that I can keep the design layer clean of any text, labelling or annotation.

I won't need several classes for the annotation in several scales or plans.

Everything concerning the model would be part of the design layer and everything concerning the output would be part of the sheet layers.

VvierA

• Like 2

Have to agree that I find the design layer scale useful, for the very reason of being able to see the drawings before making viewports.

I have a "labels" layer that is set to 1/4"=1'0" which is the standard for my industry. All global notations go there so that they are separate from everything geometric which is all 1:1 scale.

The line weight and hatching issues should be solvable via some sort of "preview" mode, where those working in 1:1 could preview the design layer at some scale, to see if their drawing looked as intended.

• Dislike 1

The great thing about Vectorworks is there's not ONE CORRECT WAY of organizing or producing a drawing.

I remember working in CAD programme similar to AC (I think Autodesk bought the programme in the early 90's) and it was H E double hockey sticks assembling drawings making them fit on the plotter, coming up with stand on one leg & rub your stomach & pat your head workarounds to get stuff to output.

So, if you want to work in 1:1 (I've done that) giddy-up!

But don't mess with my workflow S'il Vous Plait. (For the record I generally have 3 scales. One layer @ 1:1 and called One2One for Title Block, Images, & Stamp, One layer @ 1:500 or 1:1000 for site plan, & 1:50 everything else)

VvierA,

Can you post an example of how you're using your design layers?

I have to say layer scaling is something I hardly ever thing about unless I need it for a specific purpose. The design layers in my template are all set to 1:48 and there's really no need to change their scale. Everything is done in the Sheet Layer Viewports.

Kevin

I don't like scaling for design layers. I'd love to draw everything with scaling set to 1:1 and make everything else with viewports in layout layers.

But that's not possible. Vectorworks urges you to set the design layer scale to the scale you might want to use for the viewports later on. It urges you, because many of the labeling and dimension tools don't work properly within viewports (for example associative dims). So you have to do the dims and labeling in the design layer and for proper scaling of the text you need to set specific design layer scale.

I'd like to see some sort of preview for design layers to control line weight and hatch scaling for certain scales and I'd like to see all dim and labelling tools to work properly in sheet layer viewports.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this discussion has stalled and become repetitive. I think there are some good ideas here so I'm going to isolate what I see as your real wishes into a new thread. Making those changes to Vectorworks is more likely to happen than the removal of design layer scaling. These are the two main wishes I see -

It urges you, because many of the labeling and dimension tools don't work properly within viewports (for example associative dims). So you have to do the dims and labeling in the design layer and for proper scaling of the text you need to set specific design layer scale.... and I'd like to see all dim and labelling tools to work properly in sheet layer viewports.

Please make all annotation tools (dimensioning, notes, labelling) work properly within the annotations of sheet layer viewports. This includes but is not limited to proper scaling, awareness of circles, arcs and snapping points, and associative dimensions. These elements should auto-adjust based on drawing conventions defined by the user.

I'd like to see some sort of preview for design layers to control line weight and hatch scaling for certain scales

Please develop a live preview or live editing of line weights and hatch scales in sheet layer viewports. Perhaps hatch definitions could inherently include user defined options (ie. different scale factor or completely different hatch pattern) that auto adjust based on viewport and/or design layer scales). Better presentation control over line weights on sheet layers or automatic line weight scaling (would need to be proportional on a curve rather than direct) so line weights are consistent and uniform.

Kevin