Site modifier tool

kufuffin

Oh yeah. Sorry. I believe (but not sure) that is how it's designed (which is basically wrong!). Perhaps you/we need to start with a very finely segmented poly to mimic a curve.

And yes this has annoyed me a lot, but like so many imperfect things in VW's and in life, I try not to let it ruin my day... Not always successfully, but at least I try ;-)

Are you using 2016? And, trying to use the new "contour" mode?

If prior to 2016, there are no 3D polylines, when you convert to 3D, they go to 3D polygons, but usually, if you drew a polyline curve, it had hundreds of vertices.

I am wondering about 2016. I saw Jonathan Pickup use the contour mode in a webinar. It started straight, but he used the reshape tool to convert a few points to Bezier, which worked to visually round off his 3D contour line site modifier. So, try that.

For me, it would be wonderful if they eliminated a few steps so 3D polygons could be drawn first. I looked into the 2016 help, which didn't cover it clearly. It would almost be too good to be true.

It did mention that contour site modifiers are usually level, but can be drawn at a slope, if you specify it. That in itself may be a great improvement in drawing free form swales at whatever per cent you might want, over creating a bunch of smaller straight ones. I was actually going to experiment using the road tool to create curving swales, but this might do the trick even better, if it is what I think it is.

I am using 2016 with the new contour mode.

Thanks Rossford, your advice was very helpful! I tried using the reshape tool on the contour and when I hover over the vertex point a ghosted image of the curve I made appears in addition to the straight contour that vw is displaying.

I just solved the issue, here it is: When you create the contour it asks what you want your 'Simplification tolerance' to be. 0 means it will not simplify the curve at all. I wasn't paying enough attention and was entering the elevation into that first parameter, so it thought I wanted to simplify 310'.

Here is the definition from the VW website:

"Enter a positive value to redefine the horizontal distance between the closest parts of two neighboring portions of the modifier. A longer distance simplifies the modifier polygon, reducing the number of source points that modify the site model. A shorter distance increases the number of source points that modify the site model. A value of 0 (zero) does not simplify the modifier."