Rectangles disappear when editing extrudes.

What is wrong with VW2016? I'm in an extrude edit window. I don't like the profile that I have. As I have done since MiniCAD 5 or 7, I draw a new rectangle that has the correct size, but when I do the rectangle is on the screen for just a moment and then disappears! Whatever is causing this to happen, I want to turn off. I do not care if it is some sort of "new" way of drawing. VW is NOT a 3D drawing app. It is a very good 2D app for creating 3D drawings. Please let me know what I can do to remove this unwanted feature (although I find it hard to see how having a drawing vanish immediately as it is drawn is a feature.) Thanks in advance for any help.

MHBrown

I think Kevin has it figured, though the switch to top/plan view didn't work either. It happens when I'm inside a symbol. I suppose I'll send it to the bug list. I'll also add the Date Stamp, which no longer updates the file name. This is really dangerous since I depend on that to keep my title block with the correct name. Yes, I realize I have to manually go to the object info and de-select/select the "show file name" field, but that no longer works. My title block is a symbol (obviously) so maybe that is the problem. Pretty annoying.

MHBrown

I have a somewhat similar issue with editing profiles, but this is more a difference in end results between v2015 and v2016 so I will have to do some fresh trials in a new document first before submitting it to support.

Does your issue happen with any object type (e.g. rectangle vs polygon vs ...) or with just some object types?

• 3 weeks later...

This often happen when one part of the symbol or object is on a class turned off. Turn all classes and design layers on, set all classes to use at creation and all are show snap by others. Select all and show all then see if you see them.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • 1 month later...

The date stamp seems to update the file name, see attached, changed the file name and hit update and it changed.

The disappearing box often happen when you don't have unified view selected and the objects on different design layers.

See attached file, there are 2 boxes, hit unified view and the other appears, if drawing on other design layer and this is not on it disappears.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

In fact, something is wrong with VW 2016...

besides the usual occurances that make things "dissappear magically" which are

- part of a group/symbol are in a deactivated class

- unified view is diabled

- different scales of layers

- a bitmap overlaps other objects

- 2D objects not regarded in top/plan view

there is the following behaviour in 2016:

If I have a class or layer visible and activated and I switch this layer to none visible but leave it activated, then activate another not visible layer, the previous layer remains sometimes visible until I change some other layers visibility. This is random and can not be reproduced manually, maybe it has to do with interaction between classes and layers or with the operations done in between. It seems that the updatig of visibiliy sometimes is not done immidiately but only when further layer or class operations are done. This is not only confusing, it leads to operations done on layers and classes that should not be visible.

Also sometimes objects can not be selected although their corresponding classes/layers are all active and visible. After switching their classes/layers on and off once everything works pretty again.

I'm not shure but doing such operations on such "invisble objects" maybe this is the reason for the "random crashes" ?

Just an estimation....

And when you want to examine the content of classes by switching through

invisible/active only classes by activating one after the other in OpenGl,

it can happen that the active class elements will only appear after you zoom

in and out. I experience this since 2014 though.

And for Symbols with invisible Classes,

I vote for a Grayed Overwrite Mode for Symbol Content since years.

Edited by zoomer

ok, if "nested objects" like the profile of an extrude can have their own classes, how can I assign all nestetd objects of a 3D addition/substraction that consists of several added/substacted objects with several extrudes to ONE class in one step?

The only way I see ist to go through all objects manually, that's a horror...