Backup files without stripping

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

My copy of VW crashes 1-3 times every day. It always has and probably always will.

So it happens quite often, that I have to rely on the latest backup file to save my assets.

But the backup files have been stripped of some of the 3D geometry – and VW almost always fails to regenerate some of my objects correctly.

I guess this function works fine for houses, but I am a product designer and my objects are often more complex.

So I get a bunch of failed solids, that I have to regenerate manually – at a time where my patience is already strained because of the crash.

I wish I could set the automatic backup function to create full files – without stripping any geometry. It would be nice if older backups were automatically compressed somehow, but the latest should be full, regular .vmx

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard

18 answers to this question

I don't get this entirely.

2014/2015 I criticized why loading a backup takes long time.

As I thought Backups are just a copy of the original file with same file size.

It was said that the Backups are "doing" something when loading,

which would be necessary.

As meanwhile I have also files with strange behavior, I really want VW to "do"

something.

But for me it looks like 2016 Backups load instantly like a normal file now,

so "doing" nothing (?). Did I miss something.

Or are Backups only "doing" something time consumable if there is a need

to do ?

re Backup files - I'd like Filename-Backup.vwx>File>Save As to point to the project folder rather than the backup folder.

You can set this in VW Programm Settings.

(I think this is default)

VW will create a backup folder just beside your file.

I prefer a local folder where ALL software points to their backup folder.

This way it is easier to clean up, as there will get a lot of files when working

with more than one file.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I stripped this backup down to a single layer with an example:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL3Oyph55RRbWpqRXRJbkowbkE/view?usp=sharing

Could you please post a link to a version where you have corrected it already by hand as well? I'll get it submitted, this isn't something that I've seen as intentional behavior of backup restoration, especially during normal operation.

re Backup files - I'd like Filename-Backup.vwx>File>Save As to point to the project folder rather than the backup folder.

I don't want a backup folder beside the project file. But I would like SaveAs to know where the original file came from and point me there, not to the backup folder.

I don't want a backup folder beside the project file. But I would like SaveAs to know where the original file came from and point me there, not to the backup folder.

The File Location picker misbehaves regularly for me as well. For instance if I use File > Save As and then pick a directory, that same directory is called up if I use Save As again on any file. However if I go to choose my custom backup location, Save As will sometimes (and sometimes not) take that new location, where the two commands should store these locations separately.

I sometimes see this location for Save and Save As reset after choosing a directory to import files from as well, which it should not do. I'll add this to a previous bug submission or create a new one, depending on the last time someone submitted something on this topic.

The File Location picker misbehaves regularly for me as well.

I experience this behaviour as well. Goes back to at least 2012..

Same here. I filed it a few times and its been marked "fixed" for a few service packs, but seems to recur every couldn't of patches. I've filed it again with this info included.

Just to add my experience to this topic. We regularly perform Solid Subtractions on EAP's. These objects are not regenerated when restoring a backup. We get an error that certain 3D geometry could not be regenerated. We are left with a rectangular bounding box in plan showing the extents of the failed object. We must then enter the Subtract Solid and regenerate the EAP and exit in order to get the original object back. This has been the case for as long as I can remember creating these objects. The past 3 or 4 versions at least.

Joe