File reference error

Hi,

I have a master construction file and 2 referenced files linked to them. They were created in VW 2014

when I open the construction doc (in VW 2016) it asks me to manually locate the referenced docs. When I find them, I get this message"

"This file is not in the format used by the application version that you are running, so the file cannot be referenced."

How do I fix this? do I need to pen each referenced file, not reference anything and resave as a 2016 version, then re link?

Thanks,

Matthew

All the files in a project need to be at the same Vectorworks revision level.

You can fix it by right clicking in the Navigation palette>Open>Convert to VW2016 and choose to rename the VW2014 version>Save.

Otherwise you can run File>Batch Convert and browse to the hosting folder of the reference files.

Or - Browse directly to the files and Open & Save with in VW2016 and then Update your references.

Hi,

Right clicking the navigation plane and clicking open did not allow me to convert anything but the batch converting worked perfectly. Thanks a bunch.

The next challenging part is saving all of these referenced files, as the other person working on this doc works in VW 2014.

What's the best way to export all of these and not mess anything up?

thanks for all your help,

Matthew

Probably the best solution would be to use VW2014 for this project if you have a copy you can install on your computer, that way you will avoid any potential issues from converting between VW2014 and VW2016 back and forth.

If you have to use VW2016 then once you have done your updates you could export all related VW files to VW2014 into a separate folder and manually copy any non-vwx referenced file into that folder and then send off the whole folder as a zipped file. (using StuffIt or something else). That way the other person will get the complete set of working files.

Just make sure that any and all referencing is set to relative and you maintain the same folder structure as the working file is in.

If the other person already has all the referenced files then you only need to convert your actual working file and send that one of.

In that case also send a PDF file of how it is supposed to look and if you worry about referenced viewports on design layers shifting position then also include some coordinate reference(s) so that the other person can check on this.

Wish I had a copy of 2014 and as it turns out VW does not sell older versions.

Looks like I'll be exporting a a 2014 package.

thanks for your help. I'm curios to see how well this works out!

best,

Matthew

If you're a Service Select subscriber, you can download previous version installers currently back to Vw2011. But you'd probably have to have been a subscriber at the time of release to have a 2014 serial number. Just a thought.