Model vs Framing Model

taoist

Hello all.

What is procedure for framing the model?

We do residential new home and occasional remodeling.

I currently use Vectorworks for Modeling purposes.

That is to say, show 3D model without needed framing.

Do I need to use different design layers for framing?

IE:

Floor Joists

Rim Joists

Wall Framing

Rafters

I need to do framing as well as takeoffs.

I hope those in the know will read this thread and help with needed information.

Need to get up to speed on using Vectorworks framing and takeoff abilities.

Thanks,

Rod

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Rod,

Vectorworks will produce those elements. For joists and rafters, I typically place them in a class when creating them. They can "live" comfortably on the same layer as the element (roof or slab) that created them. In fact you run the framer and tell it to place the framing members in the proper component "bay". As you probably know, both roof and floor framing diagrams are required drawings in a lot of municipalities. The framer(s) will create conceptual framing plans (along with the actual modeled elements) that will let you edit the various elements so that they are to your liking. In other words, the initial framing "run" might not be exactly what you want but you can easily add additional members where required for "doublers",heading stuff off, etc. keep in mind, Vectorworks is NOT a structural analysis program so you will need to size the various elements accordingly.

The wall framer is a little old and admittedly needs some attention. It WILL create extruded studs, plates, fire blocking and headers. Once again, you'll need to size the headers. It will do the take offs for you. I haven't run it in a while but I believe it places it's elements in their own layer.

Experiment with them a bit and as always, feel free to email me.

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner

Wes,

Thanks.

It has been quite a while since I have used any of these tools.

The wall framer needs serious work.

To me the wall framer should pick up the opening settings;

As far as floor framer, last I recall, no option for sill plate, bridging, floor sheathing.

New 2015 and 2016 roofing tool seems to have gotten better.

Thanks,

Will be busy.

I always start with small simple project.

If can't get that correct, wont get large one either.

Rod

• 1 year later...

I am a first-time VW (or BIM) user.   I have built three models whose floorplans and 3D models look great.  As an AutoCad draftperson from the 1980s-90s, I am amazed at much work is done for me.   But now it is on to elevations, brace wall analyses, etc.

Wes' comment about VWA producing rafters sounds great.   I created a Dutch Hip roof using AEC>Create Roof  after using the Rectangle tool to set on my walls.   This too amazed me.   In Top Plan, I then clicked on this roof object (which looks great under GL)  with AEC>Framing>Roof Framer.   This produces the expected Framer dialogue box, but all the relevant option selections and buttons are grayed out.   The roof object upon which I am clicking is of class Roof-Main.   Would you kindly direct me?   All my reading and YouTube watching has not helped me so far.

FrStephen

13 minutes ago, bcd said:

There's a little box in that dialogue - 'Create Rafters' - place a check there and away you go.

Likewise for Plates, Ridges etc.

And away I went!    I must be suffering from the ratio that posits years of age to be directly proportional to eyes squinting  (smile).    Thank you!

• 1 year later...
Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Samuel,

It's a little tricky...here are some screen shots and a file

Step 1 - Name your framing model - can't be more than 9??? characters (this really just creates a layer within the file for the framing to reside on)

Step 2 - Choose which layers you want framed

Step 3 - Make some choices about fire blocking, stud size, double top plates, etc.

Step 4 - HERE'S the TRICK!!! Make sure you hit the NEW button and choose which CLASS you want framed

Feel free to e-mail me anytime.... wgardner@vectorworks.net

Wes

Step 1.png

Step 2.png

Step 3.png

Step 4.png

Wall_Framer_Example.vwx

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Samuel,

Admittedly, this tool needs some love.  I'll put in a request for Lt gauge...the floor framer or I think we call it "Frame Joists" now, CAN deal with custom shapes.

Wes