Stairs are the true test

I'm slowly but surely building my own stair models to put in our construction plans. There are some pros and there are some cons too but I figure, once I've got a stair model done, I always have it and its tweakable.

As for your pics digitalmechanics, you'd need some serious nurbs curves to do that. LOL They don't build them like they use to and codes don't allow for those old stair designs, short treads, railings and all.

But wouldn't it be amazing if you could push, pull and bend a stair design kinda like a subdivision object. So imagine you start with a straight flight of stairs with your min. and max. established but then be able to change the shape?

The stair tools needs a good overhaul.

Nice.

Sometimes with complex shapes it's faster to build than to model. We modelled a water feature that emerged from a stair. The Stair was the work of a large firm using both ACAD & Revit & some kind of Engineering Software. Even importing their geometry took weeks of time between hand sketches & VW 3D work for us to provide the client an image to sign off on.

Stainless Steel fabrication in the shop to make the water feature took less a week and site installation took a day, and testing & commissioning another half day.

What I would really, really like is a stair tool that quickly & easily gave one a graphic result that looks like it came out of GRAPHIC STANDARDS, or my old Drafting Textbook. I use the Stair tool to assist with the math and generally use the resulting stair to make a 2D Plan & a 2D Elevation & Section. As a general rule we do not put 3D stairs into the model as they look poor & are a time sink.

+1 for an updated stair tool, though the one in Architect is supposedly better than the one in Landmark.

I just wish that similar tools would be the same in all design series, i.e. if there is a stair tool then it should be the same in all design modules that have a stair tool. (read: the best one of a module should be in the other modules as well without being stripped down to a somewhat less useful version).

What you do is draw a Nurbs curve from each front corner point of the treads for the outside and inside of the stair. Then draw 1 across the bottom between the ends of the nurbs.Then loft with the Birail sweep mode and select solid and you get this. Then lower it to the bottom. Or trace the bottom edge of the stair treads.

The bits poking out of the stair on plan you can trim off with the split tool.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

You could also use the no rail mode for lofting. Draw a nurbs curve (or polyline and concert to nurbs and ungroup) along the edge of each tread then select all and hit lofting and no rail mode then lick on the outside of each nurbs line you drew and they will join with a line, than again use solid.

See attached. I have lowered the one on the stair by 20mm to show that it is in line with each tread which will be the same for the soffit.

HTH