Alt/Option Modifier While Resizing

Kevin McAllister

Question

12 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The default behavior on my installation here for alt-click with the Selection tool active rotates the object from the opposing selection handle, not rescaling it from the object center. With the Reshape tool active, alt-option simply toggles the selection mode for vertices. Do you both see different behavior or am I misunderstanding what tool/key combo you are using?

Jim,

It's after you've clicked on the diagonal resize arrow and started the resize operation that you use the modifier key. It turns out VW does what I want for rectangles using the Command key (Mac) as the modifier. It doesn't seem to work with polylines / polygons / regular polygons but it should.

Its a bit confusing that the modifiers are different than many other standard programs......

KM

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13241&filename=Scaling.jpg

I use the Fixed Point Resize Tool to reshape some objects. A rectangle from the center for example. It has a failing or two. If a Line, for example, one that was drawn from the center, is to be reshaped, from the center, it must be at an angle other than Zero or 90. Any angle, just not Zero or 90.

Try it.

1. Draw a line, from the center, with an Angle of Zero.

2. Fixed Point Resize Tool.

3. Select the center of the line.

4. Attempt to manually reshape the line from an end point.

5. Fixed Point Resize Tool Fails.

6. Rotate the line with the most minute fraction of a degree

7. Fixed Point Resize Tool

8. Select the center of the line

9. Fixed Point Resize Tool works as expected, resizing the line from the center.

Point is ?

I have used the Fixed Point Resize Tool to resize some strange 2D shapes and groups "from the center", selecting a corner of the "bounding box". Problem is selecting the center of the "bounding box".

Not sure this is a solution to what Kevin is looking for. - Peter

Agreed … Long wanted to have selectable "Lock" icon in the Obj Info Palette. As is common in other applications. i.e.: Scale Proportionally between the W and the H dimensions).

This would allow the selection of the Center of the specified item, one modified dimension and the other dimension would change proportionally, without being required to know what it would be. There is a multi step method to do this … but not a simple one - Especially if you are manually sketching - Peter

+1

Similar wish for rescale arcs - we need an option to lock the end points and move a point on arc to change the radius. This is possible by moving the arc center, but sometimes the center is in a galaxy far far away. Also possible with a 3 point arc polyline, but that's quirky - data fields do not always accept the desired value. Also almost possible during arc creation via the point on arc mode, but cursor data fields do not include a radius value - only distance from chord.

-B

Agreed … Long wanted to have selectable "Lock" icon in the Obj Info Palette. As is common in other applications. i.e.: Scale Proportionally between the W and the H dimensions).

This would allow the selection of the Center of the specified item, one modified dimension and the other dimension would change proportionally, without being required to know what it would be. There is a multi step method to do this … but not a simple one - Especially if you are manually sketching - Peter

+1

Though I also would like to be able to specify the corner of the bounding box as resize point instead of just the center in case of proportionally locked H/W dimensions.

+1

Similar wish for rescale arcs - we need an option to lock the end points and move a point on arc to change the radius. This is possible by moving the arc center, but sometimes the center is in a galaxy far far away. Also possible with a 3 point arc polyline, but that's quirky - data fields do not always accept the desired value. Also almost possible during arc creation via the point on arc mode, but cursor data fields do not include a radius value - only distance from chord.

-B

++1 for this one.

I often have arcs with a radii of hundreds of meters and an easier way of resizing them with fixed end points would be useful.