Disappearing Title Block

dancraig

Question

Hey all,

Odd one: when I update the data in a title block, the title block disappears.

The Obj Info tab still has the settings for the title block showing, suggesting it's still there but not visible.

I'm not making any changes to the classes or formatting, just updating the data.

I've tried removing the title block completely and re-adding it, but the problem re-occurs.

Any help gratefully received.

Dan

When I try to edit the title block VW 17 is saying that there is no record attached to the title block but I have unattached and reattached the title block multiple times. I can also put a margin around where the title block is. It is not appearing. I see it when I have the sheet boarder tool selected and I want to add a boarder it is in the outline but when I put the boarder in it does not show up.

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry I've been inactive but we're on a bit of a crunch to get this project out. I opened the file in VW 2016 and the same thing happened. We dont have a worksheet set up on our end but I originally thought it had something to do with the record tied to the sheet border. Tried clearing out all of the record data but when I ran issue manager to replace the missing information, most of the deleted issue data. 

Hi,

Just finished 9 sheets of drawings. I printed them as I went along and they came out fine. I just went to convert them all to pdf's to send to architect and site for approvals and all the sheet borders and title blocks are gone. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm trying to submit today and any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

Im trying to submit 9 sheets of drawings today for approvals. As they were drawn,  I printed them out and all looked good. But I just went to export them as pdf's and all the sheet borders and title blocks have disappeared from each sheet except for the last one created. The drawings are fine. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but could really use any help asap.

Thanks 

I assume that you are using the "publish" feature to export the set.  As a work around, you could also try printing each sheet individually as a PDF.  I've found that when one method is broken, the other often will work.  You can also try closing and restarting VW.  Sometimes nuisance bugs are cleared out by that simple old-school solution. 

Some other ideas ... no idea if they will work but (save your file first):

1. Copy the working titleblock and go to the sheets that aren't displaying it properly.  One at a time, delete them and paste in the working titleblock.  It should retain all of the data specific to that sheet.

2. Edit the working titleblock with some trivial change - add a space to the end of a name (for instance) and under the Project Tab, select "Apply ... to all"

3. If none of these work, call tech support. 

Matthew,

Thanks for the reply. No, I didn't use 'Publish' as I didn't know about it! But I'l look into it (ultra newbie)

I just started going back through each drawing and was fixing them by re-doing the sheet border and title block. I did a few and Wowza! the borders and title block are back! 

But in terms of proper workflow: I made the model, created sheet layers with viewports, printed as I went to verify it's all good.  The model was being saved automatically very 5 mins. 

Am I right in thinking that this is the correct way to work? And that I can at any time go back into the file and see the sheets with borders and title block? And reprint copies? And only save the model not each sheet ?

Thanks

That's strange, the forum ate my post ... So in brief lest it shows up again

I'm glad you solved the problem.  Publish is located under the File menu.  It will allow you to select sheets and order them to your liking for export to a pdf (or a number of other file formats).  You can print a whole set of drawings (into one PDF) and then save the set for recall later.

It sounds like you've got the gist of a good workflow.  When you save the file, it will save all of your design layers and sheet layers.  You can go between them at any time, so you don't need to print out each sheet as you go.  Most people (I think) wait until the drawings are complete and then print out the entire set at once. 

Edited by Taproot

Hey all, was there ever a solution for this? I'm having this exact issue: I open a template file and go to edit the title block and it disappears saying  "There is no record attached to the title block". I go to the next sheet layer and try to edit the title block, same thing. I end up having to reattach the title block on every sheet layer- very strange and inefficient. 

Any solutions?

Thanks a lot!

Mike

Hi all,

I had an odd corollary to the disappearing border and title block. I was trying to export a sheet layer to a pdf file for printing at an off site printer.  The border was present on the sheet layer as I hit export then disappeared in the both the vectorworks drawing and the pdf file as the file transferred.  The border just moved off the drawing and I can zoom out, find it and put it back.  The drawing is set at the universe 0 origin.  I was eventually able to make it work by exporting to a new file instead of overwriting an older version.  Obviously I found a workaround, but I don't understand why it moved in the first place.

Any update on the disappearing sheet border issue? I've had the same problem as dancraig off and on since VWX 2015 (now using VWX 2017 SP5)

For sure this happens when the name of the title block symbol is changed, because the sheet border can no longer find it. It can reappear after the symbol name is changed back to exactly match with the sheet border.

But, sheet borders sometimes disappear even when the name matches.

Seems to be related to a VWX cross-file preference setting, since the problem will start or stop happening in whatever files are open at the moment. 

Conversely, when the problem magically goes away, files that were affected before are suddenly healed! Nothing like the unpredictability of a major technical glitch to keep you on your toes. 

Please help!

Hi Jim,

I had a problem with my title block disappearing on a new drawing while using 2018 but chalked it up to inexperience.  I removed and replaced it and have not had that problem since.  Unfortunately there are other problems.  I built a custom title block and inserted it into the the old drawing but can't get the fields to update.  The info is correct in the Object Info Pallette, but doesn't change in the title block.  It works when the block is opened in the file in which I created it but not when inserted into another drawing.  Opening a new project and attaching a different title block doesn't seem to update info either. Very frustrating

Edited by Justin Schmidt

This one crops up in our office every so often...normally on my computer. We find it happens if computer/Vectorworks does not get shut down that often and just put on sleep. 

We normally just have to completely quit Vectorworks and re-open, sometimes a computer restart is in order. 

Tried a full shutdown and reset. Sadly It didn't fix the problem. There is a setting somewhere that is not allowing the data to translate from the OIP to the title block on the drawing.  I've tried different title blocks from the library to see if they'd work but they failed too.  Thank you for the suggestion though

Edited by Justin Schmidt

Hi All,

I am using VWX 2018 and yup this problem still exist. Once i close and reopen my files title block is not visible, only the borders are.What i did was select the title block and move 0,0 and it will appear again. Goes well too is you double click title block for editting, move by nudge etc. as long you do some operation on the title block it will appear again.Just imagine if i have hundreds of sheets. Hopefully VWX will find a solution for it.

Thanks,

Have the same problem, Title block and some other things are disappearing!

I've been waiting until service pack 4 before I stated using VW19 now we have VV20 and still no fix for this bug.

I didn't have this problem with VW18.

I am Vectorworks Service Select member in the hope on day bugs get fixed but VW19 was not working for me, and I am not doing any of the crazy stuff you can see in the promotion videos.

I sad this before, can't we try to fix the old bugs before we make new ones? 

Another thing with sheet border, whenever i update the title blocks some of the input added earlier i.e drawn by, checked by will be reset to default settings which i left it blank. So i need to key in again.

Another issue i faced is interoperability with windows base server, i manage to resolved it on VWX2019 (thanks to VWX forum) and hopefully it will not happen again in VWX2020 since we do need to purchase a new license later.

Just wondering why the issue in previous version is not fixed in the new version of WVX? We need to experience again and again for some issue. 😞