Realtime walkthrough tool is fussy in v 10.1

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem: in OpenGL render mode, the walkthrough tool has in the past maintained rendering while moving around the buiding/object. I find that with v 10, I have to click on one particular point in the rendering, otherwise as soon as I commence movement the rendering reverts to wireframe and stays that way until I stop. If I happen to click in that "sweet spot" near the center, I can move around at will and stay in OpenGL rendering. Is there any explanation for this behavior?

VWA 10.1

WinXP/2K

P4 2.2Gh

1G RAM

GeForce 4 Ti 200 128mb

My setting is at "75%" of always. I have tried various settings on that scale, and none makes any difference. The only thing that works is finding that small area of the screen where my initial click on a move retains the rendered model. By the way, I can then release the mouse button to stop and click anywhere to start motion, and the model is always retained. But when I go back to some other view, and then return to a rendered view, I have to find that special location again to get the tool to work properly.