Hatches disappeared in VPs

edmal

Hi

I'm learning VW as I go and it appears it wont let me see any hatches nor bespoke line types I've created in my sheet layer on the drawing. Visibilities are all on. This issue also appears to be only happening on those allotted to closed large polygons I've created. I could only find one other reference to this issue which suggested its a bug? Im using VW14.

I hope it isn't as I wouldn't have bothered to go this far if I cannot use hatches !! I do hope you guys can help.

Thanks a bundle.

Are your hatches in world units or in page units?

Depending on the units and dimensions used the hatch might be too large or too small to display properly in the viewport at the desired scale.

What you could try as a first to see if you can get the hatches to appear is to select the viewport and then in the advanced option in the object info palette change the hatch scale. Depending on how the hatch was created you may need to make the scale larger (>1, e.g. 10 or 100) or smaller (<1 e.g. 0.5 or 0.01).

It may take a few attempts to find the proper scale.

HI Thank you for the prompt reply I tried the suggestion with different scales and clicked preview to no avail? Any other ideas ? The vp is 1:500 and my design layer is 1:1 ?

I had changed the hatch settings to 'use local mapping' and changed the i nd J setting to 2m to show the meadow hatching at an appropriate size?

For linetype the same principle applies as for hatches.

Check the the "Complex" option for the linetype definition for setting world or page units.

Another thing, you have drawn at 1:1 scale and the viewport 1:500, with vectorworks you can set the drawings scale of the design layer to the desired output scale (and page size) so that you can see if it will fit or not. The drawing itself will be 1:1 internally, but drawing at scale will also show you how the hatches will look in a viewport at the same scale on a sheet layer.

I'm not sure what you mean with local mapping, as I don't see that option when creating hatches or in the object info palette. This could be a user interface translation thing.

Basically...

If your hatch is supposed to mimic real size things that need to be represented at scale at all times (e.g. a structure plan view where you need to show the beams simplified at fixed real distances) then use "world unit" when defining a hatch.

If it a hatch is just symbolic (e.g. a rail track represented by alternating b&w rectangles) where it just needs to look ok on output scale then use page units.

The latter does require taking the output size into consideration when creating a hatch so that on large output size it doesn't look too small (or too big on small output sizes) In this case using the hatch scale option in the advanced viewport settings can be useful as you would only need to rescale with a limit factor.

Edited by Art V