taoist

Wall Styles - Vertical Stacking Components

Wes your last example was exactly what I was thinking of. I had a situation like that for a commercial plaza where we had three different kinds of masonry units in the same wall plane, but I had to "cheat" to give the appearance of the three materials.

An important thing to happen with this ability is to apply a texture by component not by "side, bottom, top"

I meanwhile tend to Digital Mechanics proposal for Architectural Tools

not working by complex Multi Shapes, but Additions of very primitive Objects.

I'm currently working on a very simple Residential Project, nevertheless VW Wall

Tools are quite primitive and simple compared to other BIM solutions, I find the

Wall Styles quite hindering. The amount of needed Wall Styles increases rapidly.

I think I would be faster to draw all Component separately, but that is currently

not possible because of Connection Problems and Door/Window Cuts.

While you may have at the end 5 Components only, their mixed combinations in

Styles will bring you easily 25 Wall Styles.

Plus the Z Values, which I think should be excluded from WS generally.

You can overwrite these easily in OIP but have to be very concentrated, when editing

or replacing Styles, about keeping or adapting Height Settings.

So I think there should be separate Wall Height Tags beside WS's to organize different

(relative) Heights and apply to Components.

What I wish is that Wall Styles disappear and will be replaced by Component Styles,

where a Component may include a group of Sub Components, if these will be used

in that combination only.

So that means nearly no change to WS's, except that :

1. I can draw my Main Components separately like I would when modeling by Solids

2. Same Components will weld automatically when touching

3. Doors/Windows will cut through all separate Components automatically by a Cut Depth

Setting

4. Doors/Windows can "read" the overall Wall Depth for their Sizing

5. You can stack Components vertically on the same Layer without getting Connection

Problems

6. Walls will be Solids, at least simple Extrudes

7. Walls can be Textured using all Texture Styles, like Perimeter

8. Energos is able to read Walls in its Total

9. There will be 1 Window/Door in IFC only, but Recesses/Cuts exported for all

Components. And the Window/Door is assigned to that all those Wall Ccomponents

• Like 1

i think the more the walls will be decomposed the more difficult it will be to connect them with one another and to create further modifications. one of the greatest features of the wall tool is the possibility to export it to ifc 'by components'. i don't know which other application can do this (maybe only archicad). a decomposed wall would be also more difficult to calculate (energy and cost).

and if we get the slanted wall functionality, a wall decomposing would be even more dangerous.

rob

besides, one can easily create additional wall components, and delete the existing ones. i regard them as placeholders, although some wall compositions are pretty handy.

Currently Walls auto connect in the most stupid manner,

like L-connecting a Single Component Wall to a Multi Component Wall.

You can manually repair the Connection Type or at the Component Level.

If Same Components would Auto Connect it could work much more like expected.

I see Slanted just as a Tag for all Components to Extrude at an angle or to get Tapered

afterwards

There should be an internal Group detection if parallel Wall Components touch,

that will inform Doors/Windows and Energos to read them as Walls.

Without hindering Modeling.

Same for Slabs. You define only 1 perforation for the complete Floor Package while

having separate Components like Concrete Slab, Insulation + maybe a complete Finish

Floor Package.

If a Component can (auto) connect to more than 1 other similar Component in Z Depth,

the Vertical Stacking Problem is solved too.

This comment from Wes Gardner in another thread gave me pause:

I will continue to push for a re-evaluation of Vectorworks walls "from the top down" to include scenarios like this as well as my favorite - stacked components...

Vectorworks is still in the 're-evaluation' stage of implementing stacked component walls?

Really? We're still debating the necessity of stacked component walls? :(

Tim. OH Ya! This would be a feature I'd being wooping it up about. I've been asking for it as long as I've been a member here on the forum.

This comment from Wes Gardner in another thread gave me pause:

I will continue to push for a re-evaluation of Vectorworks walls "from the top down" to include scenarios like this as well as my favorite - stacked components...

Vectorworks is still in the 're-evaluation' stage of implementing stacked component walls?

Really? We're still debating the necessity of stacked component walls? :(

Not reevaluating of whether or not we SHOULD have stacked wall components now, but a reevaluation on how best to not only include stacked wall components, but other long requested items like slanted walls. It isn't a matter of whether we want to do it or not, just a matter of how we should be going about it.

On 11.5.2016 at 2:56 PM, zoomer said:

...VW Wall Tools are quite primitive and simple compared to other BIM solutions, I find the Wall Styles quite hindering. The amount of needed Wall Styles increases rapidly. I think I would be faster to draw all Component separately, but that is currently not possible because of Connection Problems and Door/Window Cuts. While you may have at the end 5 Components only, their mixed combinations in Styles will bring you easily 25 Wall Styles.

Yes

... Z Values, which I think should be excluded from WS generally.

Yes

What I wish is that Wall Styles disappear and will be replaced by Component Styles, ...

Yes

.... group of Sub Components,

Yes

1. I can draw my Main Components separately like I would when modeling by Solids

Yes. Not only that, you should be able reshape and join each component or component group separately. Working with components should be like working in SketchUp.

2. Same Components will weld automatically when touching

Yes

3. Doors/Windows will cut through all separate Components automatically by a Cut Depth Setting

Yes. Plus: Intelligence regarding the way how wall components wrap around wall holes should be part of the wall, not the door or window.

4. Doors/Windows can "read" the overall Wall Depth for their Sizing

Yes

5. You can stack Components vertically on the same Layer without getting Connection Problems

Yes. Not only that, you should be able reshape and join each component or component group separately. Working with components should be like working in SketchUp.

6. Walls will be Solids, at least simple Extrudes

Yes

7. Walls can be Textured using all Texture Styles, like Perimeter

Yes

8. Energos is able to read Walls in its Total

Yes

Gentlemen: I'm a new user. In reading your replies I see many of you reference an attached file. I don't see it and can not figure out how to find it. What am I missing? (I am logged in.)

4 minutes ago, tomhaupt said:

Gentlemen: I'm a new user. In reading your replies I see many of you reference an attached file. I don't see it and can not figure out how to find it. What am I missing? (I am logged in.)

Which of these posts would you like the attachments from? I can pull them from the archive. The issue is that the attachments from the old forums aren't displaying on the new forums yet. I must pull them manually, so please let me know which specific posts have the ones youre looking for.

Okay, thanks. Now I understand at least why I was not seeing them.

I was exploring the forum and simply ran across this topic. I have no pressing need to see any of the attachments. I won't put you to the trouble on this one. But again, thanks.

On 10/19/2015 at 9:14 AM, Wes Gardner said:

Here are a couple of examples based on the same theme using "Follow Wall Peaks" for the outer component.

FYI - The "Follow Wall Peaks" for individual components was a recent addition...can't recall whether it was 2014 or 2015

I am looking for a wall style with stone veneer for use in a historic project. Any advice on how to create the style would be much appreciated. Cheers.

If you are only looking for  texture for the wall I usually take a photo in even light of at least a 2 - 3 metre section of the wall and create my own texture using photshop to have the texture bookmatch so it will array smoothly. If yo want to have it look in 3d then just use the displacement mapping on it.

HTH

The attached I took an image from the net and with a bit of Photshop got the texture. There a few bits of consistency so the larger the image the better.

Also the attached file has a wall style in it all controlled by class of the components

Capture.JPG

Stone Texture.vwx

Edited by Alan Woodwell

30 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

using photshop to have the texture bookmatch so it will array smoothly

Alan, is that an automated thing in Photoshop?

Edited by Christiaan

@ChristiaanHi no real automated I just use the clone tool and crop.

In the attached images the secret is to get the brick joint on one side only, so top and right in this case and clone the colour of the half brick on one side with thee same matching half on the other side. The roof tiles you have to use the distort tool on the edit mode to square the roof tiles up as you rarely get a shot from ontop unless using a drone. Orig Photo attached as well

HP Bricks 0.png

HP Roof Tiles 0.png

Bricks1.jpg

Roof tiles.jpg

Textures.vwx

• Like 2

Has the been any progress in making stacked components? I've been able to simulate stacked components by limiting the top and bottom heights, but it screws up the depth, as the component depths are all added, even when they are stacked. 

How do I get the stacked wall Vectorworks file from the beginning of this post?

On 3/4/2018 at 8:37 PM, MSLD said:

Has the been any progress in making stacked components? I've been able to simulate stacked components by limiting the top and bottom heights, but it screws up the depth, as the component depths are all added, even when they are stacked. 

No.  Not at this time.

I started a topic here 

and my intention was simply creating a multiple component wall that work correctly in a door or windows connection. Bot of instruments, the "architect" window/door and the International version allows you to manage the 2D part.. but not the 3D.. I think it does not make sense. If I need to have a correct model to make details, IFC data, section etc.. I need to model the entire door and manage the 2D/3D parts like a symbol, but it is total insane I think... Anyone know other way to manage something like the attachment?

Schermata 2018-07-06 alle 18.11.13.jpg

Schermata 2018-07-06 alle 18.11.26.jpg

Porte simbolo.vwx