taoist

Wall Styles - Vertical Stacking Components

Just tried vertical stacking of stone veneer for lower portion of wall and siding on upper portion.

8' wall height.

Set stone thickness to 2" (50.8mm)

and siding to 1" (25.4mm).

Set Stone offset from top of wall to -60"

Set siding offset from bottom of wall to 36"

Just checked and it looks great!

See attached jpeg's

Need to try some more items such as sheathing and such

but looks promising.

Will need to run material takeoff and see what reports.

Material Reports are something I have not tried yet.

Rod

Edited by taoist

Here are a couple of examples based on the same theme using "Follow Wall Peaks" for the outer component.

FYI - The "Follow Wall Peaks" for individual components was a recent addition...can't recall whether it was 2014 or 2015

Edited by Wes Gardner

Thanks Rod & Wes for sharing these. That all 'looks' like it works, except it gets more complicated when there is a door or window that spans across the two stacked walls.

You have to pick one of the stacked walls (probably the lower one for a door) to host the door / window, and then manually reshape the other un-hosted wall around the opening. Then it's mucho manual reshaping should the design get revised.

As a workaround it 'works' - but it's not a substitute for having the ability to stack wall components in one wall assembly, which should still be high on the Vw Wishlist. Thanks.

Tim,

Thanks for bring this up.

Here is same wall definition with window

and door inserted in regular manner.

Please see attached!

That is to say select window, door,opening and place.

Working on creating walls definitions this way

FYI!

As a follow up,

Use airspace as wall component for horizontal spacing of wall components that need to be vertically stacked.

Such as Stone/brick veneer on lower and siding/stucco on upper.

It has no value (cost) associated or should not anyway.

Such as Stone/brick veneer on lower and siding/stucco on upper.

Still working on Defined wall styles, but so far looking promising,

Will post results.

Oh, make sure to use components instead of objects for textures (rendering) for individual wall components.

Rod

Edited by taoist

Hi,

Just curious how does this stacked walls look in 2D?

Screenshot?

We use the same drawing for 2D and 3D.

Ida

Hi,

Screenshot?

Ida

• Like 1

Taoist,

You're method is generally how I do this stacked wall work around to. Where I am we like to do a lot of homes (commercial plaza bldgs too) with brick/stone skirting. So like you've mentioned I use the 1 inch "air cavity" behind the brick/stone as my siding and set the vertical offsets for the two outer components accordingly

This is probably my biggest wish for VW right now and was one of my first dilemmas when I first started using VW.

2017 is a long ways away so we do our best with what we've got. It's always great to share how we solve problems. This forum has been fantastic.

Cheers,

Here are a couple of examples based on the same theme using "Follow Wall Peaks" for the outer component.

Thanks for this Wes,

How thick is the stone component?

Can you post the Edit Wall Style dialogue please?

Here's a screen shot of the dialog. The stone will be 4 1/2" (could be anything)

The actual stone is then drawn as a separate wall style, using the Reshape tool, peaks are added and the wall is set in place.

Where penetrations occur, like the door, the stone wall has a "door" in it set to "opening" as its style. The actual door lives in the cast-in-place concrete wall.

Edited by Wes Gardner

Hi,

Screenshot?

Ida

Use Viewports then use Viewport Annotations to apply hatches to your elevations.

Real easy to do.

Way better than old method.

Either double click on Viewport or right click and select

Edit Annotations.

Then use Polygon Tool in Basic Palette with Bucket Icon (fill)

selected, then go to Attributes Palette and select Hatch from Down arrow in Solids. Now Paint/Fill In or Hatch the desired area(s).

The beauty is the hatches will "cut" around the openings for you.

Use Resource Browser to either Import or Add to Favorites your Hatches or others (Images, Textures) etc..

See Attached File

Above all, Have Fun!

P.S. Ignore the dots. They are from the Grid.

Rod

Edited by taoist

Wes,

Do you think that vertically stacked components are something we should continue wishing for?

Having to manually place a door opening in one wall element to coincide with a door opening in another is problematic in several important ways.

If no, shouldn't the stone wall in your example above at least AutoCreate Door&Window openings, or the Doors & Windows have a Punch Through Adjacent Walls checkbox?

Thanks Rod & Wes for sharing these. That all 'looks' like it works, except it gets more complicated when there is a door or window that spans across the two stacked walls.

You have to pick one of the stacked walls (probably the lower one for a door) to host the door / window, and then manually reshape the other un-hosted wall around the opening. Then it's mucho manual reshaping should the design get revised.

As a workaround it 'works' - but it's not a substitute for having the ability to stack wall components in one wall assembly, which should still be high on the Vw Wishlist. Thanks.

For all,

This example is not (2) separate walls stacked.

It is (1) wall using vertical offsets.

The example shows brick and siding, a simple 2 layer wall for testing purposes.

The doors and windows "see" it as 1 wall.

Working on Stylized Walls when I have time to see if everything works.

I figure If I can get 2 components to stack within 1 wall, openings work and placement is as usual, multiple wall components should work also.

Rod

@ Brian and others,

Stacked components are definitely worth continuing to wish for. I will do everything I can to get this in front of the "powers" as it is sorely needed on both the residential and commercial track.

Like Jim W., I can't talk about future development, but I DO know there's some cool stuff in the pipeline...

Wes

Thanks Wes,

Jim said it would be ok for you to tell us. (We won't tell a soul ;) )

Much more urgent and disturbing than a limited feature set of Wall Tool,

I think are the problems that existing Tools have over years of existence.

Like the Bug that you can move a wall sideways by move/drag tools without

losing connections to other touching walls, but will lose all connections if

you type in the same distance amount into the OIP.

And that a Wall that was drawn not so precisely and has a wrong angle,

can't be corrected in angle without loosing all connections, graphically or

numerical, in any way. I see that as as a strong limitation.

Edited by zoomer

Much more urgent and disturbing than a limited feature set of Wall Tool,

I think are the problems that existing Tools have over years of existence.

Like the Bug that you can move a wall sideways by move/drag tools without

losing connections to other touching walls, but will lose all connections if

you type in the same distance amount into the OIP.

And that a Wall that was drawn not so precisely and has a wrong angle,

can't be corrected in angle without loosing all connections, graphically or

numerical, in any way. I see that as as a strong limitation.

I don't disagree functionally, but those just aren't categorized as bugs. The maintaining wall connections when moving walls via the cursor were specifically implemented features, maintaining the connections when manipulating walls location or angle via the OIP were not.

I know I harp on this distinction a lot, but its only so that information flows into the proper channels. A quick way to think of it:

- Does it not work in the current version but worked in previous versions? Bug.

- Does it crash? Bug.

- Was it never implemented as you wanted in the first place? Feature Request.

- Does it appear to have been designed wrong in the first place? Feature Request, even if it seems broke.

I know it seems like a bad way to think, just a binary "BUG" or "WISH" and I an pushing to allow a more flexible feedback system so that "DESIGN DEFICIENCY" or something similar is an option, but for now things like this have to go on the wishlist the same as other "new" functionality requests.

I don't mean to pick on you by any means zoomer, you submit dozens if not hundreds of useful wishlist items and I hope you keep at it, I just wanted to try and explain why I'm always arguing and debating over if something is a bug or not.

Update,

From what I have been able to determine the issue is not vertical offset, it is Horizontal Offset.

That is to say we are unable to control the horizontal distance of a wall component on an individual basis.

We can control "where" (front to back) or (outside to inside) in the stacking order, and are able to control the vertical of each component, but have no control over horizontal distance within the stacking order.

So, are you listening Vectorworks Software Engineers and those who determine what they do?

Please, please, please we need this ability.

Other software I use has had this ability for many years.

Rod

• Like 1