sheet layer / design layer toggle causes objects to disappear

Howdy,

For some reason when I switch between the design layer I'm working on and their viewports in the sheet layer, some objects disappear. Specifically what happens is I draw something in the design layer. Switch to the sheet layer and a bunch of objects are missing. When I go back to the design layer, they're no longer there either. I then have to undo a few times to get back to where I was.

I have checked all class visibilities for all design and sheet layers and can't find out how this is happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Two questions:

1. Are the objects 2D or 3D and is the workspace 2D or 3D?

2. Did you create the viewport using an object (e.g. rectangle or polyline) or just thought View>Create Viewport? It could be that objects are outside the viewport area.

I'm not sure why objects would disappear when switching from sheet layer to design layer other than working on a class set to off and not being active when you switch back from the sheet layer to the design layer after having changed the class while working on the sheet layer. You said you checked the visibility etc. so that should not apply, unless you unintenionally put things on an off class without noticing.

Do the objects come back when you set all classes to visible?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Are you navigating via Saved Views? if you created the saved view before the class or layer was created, then those layers and classes will be off by default in any saved view. The same default behavior will occur with viewports created BEFORE a class or layer that objects are placed in were created.

Edited by JimW
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Art,

All of the classes in both the design layer and the sheet layer were set to visible. I did create the VP through he drop down menu View>Create Viewport and all of the objects were 2D as I was drawing a room elevation.

The only was I have been able to resolve this is through copying the entire page, starting a dew document and pasting it over.

It wouldn't hurt to install the latest drivers for your graphics card.

It sounds like you have an automatic viewport, this will automatically expand for any layers and classes that were active at the time the viewport was generated.

Any newly added classes and layers after the viewport was generated will not show up in the viewport.

What happens if you create a new viewport on a new sheet layer, do all items show up then?

You mention that you turned on all classes and layers for the sheet layer, but you should do this for the viewport on the sheet layer. So the question is did you set the classes/layers visible for the sheet layer or for the actual viewport (through the OIP and the classes/layers buttons in there)?