Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

wrapper-scale

STERNontwerp

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Normally you would want to keep Marionette nodes on a layer that was just scaled 1:1, you shouldn't need to rescale a marionette layer and the layers that the rest of the drawing is on can be scaled as needed.

You can also use a saved view to quickly return to an area of the document where you are building node networks to save time.

Normally you would want to keep Marionette nodes on a layer that was just scaled 1:1, you shouldn't need to rescale a marionette layer and the layers that the rest of the drawing is on can be scaled as needed.

So if you are making a Marionette object that ultimately lives on a 1:48 Floor Plan Design Layer, for example, would you need to insert a 'Set Layer' node somewhere inside the Marionette network? Does it matter whether it is at the beginning or the end? Thanks.

My plan isn't that well thought out yet, but when I ran into the difficulty of not seeing the object anymore I knew I wouldn't be able to present it to a future client that way. If a client without marionette-knowledge is to use the marionette-object, it has to be easy. And that means that he can put the object on any layer.

If the scale can be adapted, I would prefer a possibility to have it manually set (for instance as if it were a text object). This way a hierarchy between objects become possible.

Ernst van der Vecht

Submitting this request now.

So if you are making a Marionette object that ultimately lives on a 1:48 Floor Plan Design Layer, for example, would you need to insert a 'Set Layer' node somewhere inside the Marionette network? Does it matter whether it is at the beginning or the end? Thanks.

I don't think so, I am fairly certain they always operate as if they're at 1:1 scale and if you add them to a layer that has already been scaled, the effect is the same as adding them before re scaling.

Thanks JimW for the clarification.

I'm just curious about what was the intended iterative design development & documentation workflow for using Marionette objects like the cool 'sliced skyscrapers' that Luis M Ruiz recently posted.

Maybe that would be a good topic for a future Marionette tutorial: 'How to use a Marionette object in a real design project workflow'.

As I understand it, since Vw can't display two layers of different scale at the same, using that sliced skyscraper example, and based on what you're saying, you would have to tweak the Marionette network variables and object on a 1:1 layer.

Then when you need to present various design options, you'd move the Marionette object (skyscrapers) to a 1:240 layer (for example) and integrate it with the site design for presentation. But now that you've moved the Marionette object (MO) from the 1:1 layer, any further iterative design tweaking requires deleting the 1:240 version, changing the 1:1 Marionette network variables, and moving the MO back to the 1:240 layer. Repeat as required.

It's not the smoothest workflow for an iterative design tool like Marionette. I think that ideally the Marionette object should live and stay on the scaled layer. Otherwise it requires a bunch of unnecessary steps as outlined above.

Wait a minute - I know what would fix this! Displaying multiple document views at the same time! ;)

These were wrapped into nodes and then wrapped into Marionette Objects, so that the only place you saw the node network was when you were in the editing mode of the Marionette Object itself, where scale didn't matter. But that only really helps as a solution if the ONLY thing you are doing with Marionette is directly making objects from it, which is certainly not always the case.

In looking into things further, it actually looks like this feature (scale-aware marionette nodes) almost made it into the release version, but wasn't far enough along in time.

Wait a minute - I know what would fix this! Displaying multiple document views at the same time! ;)

RIGHT!?