Sign in to follow this  
Luis M Ruiz

My journey thru Marionette

Now that graphical scripting is a reality in Vectorworks software, my designing spirit has been fantasizing about many forms and shapes. I’ve been clicking the mouse for over 20 years and feel like our software is like an extension of my drafting board, but I recently learned that Marionette requires a different but exciting approach. Graphical scripting to me is a form of exploration in a foreign language, it satisfies my curiosity and offers instantaneous alternatives.

I’d like to share my experience and discoveries with Marionette and I continue to explore, and hopefully inspire you to give it a try and ultimately share the knowledge with our community.

My first attempts were all 2d based, nothing great, just crawling before walking. Here is a list of files.

With the experience of the previous files, understanding how things get put together in 3d just got a bit more familiar, take a look.

Hey Luis - These look great! I am so glad that you enjoy Marionette as much as I do. Here is a suggestion for using lists to streamline your definitions...

Thanks for this great resource Luis! Can't wait to get stuck in.

Me and my team are fascinated by the possibilities of Marionette. It's great to see the ideas dawning on our customers' faces too when we show it to them.

How to slice solids.

For years and years slicing mass models was a tedious process. You’d be surprise how this wrapper makes life so much easier.

Open the file and when you take a look at the network inside pay attention to the name of the solid, that is the key, yes, in order to interact with objects on your layers you’ll need to name them.

Open this file, use the saved views for easier navigation and run the marionette wrapper, you’ll end up smiling.

Sarah.

This new slice wrappers are so much fun!

Here is the application over a a few metal spheres.

Luis, thank you so much for sharing these!

I too have been enjoying exploring this new territory of Marionette. It looks like some of your files should help fill gaps in my knowledge so far.

-Neil

Hello!

I wanted to share a part of my experience too! Took me a while to get it and a lot of hands to help, but I made a 2D truss drawing, basically just exploring the change of direction in each part of it. I left it unwrapped in order to see my steps.

Next project is using the slice marionette to slice up a lighting console to experiment with how it works on objects with small pieces!