My journey thru Marionette

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Now that graphical scripting is a reality in Vectorworks software, my designing spirit has been fantasizing about many forms and shapes. I’ve been clicking the mouse for over 20 years and feel like our software is like an extension of my drafting board, but I recently learned that Marionette requires a different but exciting approach. Graphical scripting to me is a form of exploration in a foreign language, it satisfies my curiosity and offers instantaneous alternatives.

I’d like to share my experience and discoveries with Marionette and I continue to explore, and hopefully inspire you to give it a try and ultimately share the knowledge with our community.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

How to slice solids.

For years and years slicing mass models was a tedious process. You’d be surprise how this wrapper makes life so much easier.

Open the file and when you take a look at the network inside pay attention to the name of the solid, that is the key, yes, in order to interact with objects on your layers you’ll need to name them.

Open this file, use the saved views for easier navigation and run the marionette wrapper, you’ll end up smiling.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I wanted to share a part of my experience too! Took me a while to get it and a lot of hands to help, but I made a 2D truss drawing, basically just exploring the change of direction in each part of it. I left it unwrapped in order to see my steps.

Next project is using the slice marionette to slice up a lighting console to experiment with how it works on objects with small pieces!