Pdf export name change

Why on earth would this behaviour get changed between versions?

Commas in Sheet Names now 'publish' export as underscore as opposed to as commas in v2015!?

I have an existing project currently with 68 Sheets published from Vectorworks as pdf:s to a project management database that tracks versions, I now will need to change all the exported pdf names each time a revision is made, all I can say is ARG!!! :mad:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13100&filename=Pdf%20name.PNG

Edited by Vincent C

Maybe they tried to avoid file name issues across multiple platforms?

Because of differences in what was allowed in file names in the past I've made it a habit to never use punctuation in file names other than the full stop before an extension if possible. Only spaces, dashes and underscores. Macs have always been more lenient than windows in this aspect.

Maybe JimW knows the definitive answer.

Maybe they tried to avoid file name issues across multiple platforms?

Because of differences in what was allowed in file names in the past I've made it a habit to never use punctuation in file names other than the full stop before an extension if possible. Only spaces, dashes and underscores. Macs have always been more lenient than windows in this aspect.

Even though I use a Mac, I also do what Art V describes, but I take it one step further and do not use spaces in file names. If that file gets posted on the Internet, URL encoding will replace the spaces with %20 or a + sign.

I keep file names as short as possible, don't use spaces or special characters such as ~ ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) ` ; < > ? , [ ] { } ' " and | .

It looks like this was on your Windows machine, here is a link to a free batch renaming utility which should be able to replace the _ with a comma. It might make it a little less frustrating.

Bulk Rename Utility (Windows OS)

HTH.

Appreciate your trying to help guys, however even though your explanations might be correct......and I am very aware of these problems and have chosen the names as a compromise between readable sheets and layouts in my program and according to local building standards and so far I haven't had any problems along the lines described above or other.

However if it is as described above why then has NV not implemented it correctly/consequently:

The sheet number is A-40.1-51

The sheet name is: SITUATIONSPLAN, PLANER

v2015 made this: A-40.1-51-SITUATIONSPLAN, PLANER

v2016 makes this: A-40.1-51-SITUATIONSPLAN_ PLANER

Why? there are still punctuation marks and spaces in the new name?

Why then doesn't v2016 make this:

A-40_1-51-SITUATIONSPLAN_-PLANER

I think someone unwittingly added/changed this and now we're stuck with it for a year......

Edited by Vincent C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I suspect this is broken as well. Mainly because, I am able to export a single PDF with a comma in the name, it does not give me an error when naming it nor during export, and the comma appears just fine.

Same with images, if I try to use Publish to create a number of image files instead of PDFs, commas are replaced with underscores. But if I export images individually, the commas are preserved. I'm going to submit this as a bug against the Publish command specifically, I'll try to keep this thread updated.

Edited by JimW
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If anything, the idea is to INCREASE our ability to handle special characters and eventually add unicode support to accommodate additional languages and text directions. I would not suspect something like this to have been intentional, especially without a warning dialog telling you to rename your everything.