Renderworks background

D Wood

I have drawn elevations of a house by taking viewports from the model, and rendering with Renderworks Style - Realistic Exterior Final.

There are 2 problems:

The background is a flat blue/grey, whereas I want and have selected Physical Sky Mostly Sunny. Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

When I select one viewport, the render options in the OIP are greyed out, but when I select 2 viewports, they are not and I can access the lighting menus. This is the opposite of what I expected - suppose I had only 2 viewports and I wanted different settings in each?

Edited by D Wood
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The two selected button enabling sounds like a bug. I will buglist that. For styles I think the button is always supposed to be grayed out. You should use the resource browser to edit the style.

The sky and environment backgrounds only show a single color in Ortho projections. I bet the elevation is an ortho projection.

Well, excuse me for not knowing intuitively that taking an elevation viewport off the 3D model would mean that the renderworks background would not work.

The question is - why?

Why does an ortho projection have a single colour background when other projections have a choice of backgrounds?

Why can't the user decide what background to have in a viewport, regardless of what projection is used?

• 1 month later...

The situation is worse in v2016.

Now the background is a mid grey - fine if you want the render to look like there is a storm approaching, but not so good if you want to sell the scheme to a client.

I have to ask again - why can't users choose this background as we can for other renders?

You can, its just done elsewhere for Renderworks Styles since they're a resource where you'd want to store the background as well as the render settings.

Create a new Renderworks Background in the resource browser, in the edit dialog, set the Background to One Color, then pick any color you like. (Name the background something obvious for easy sorting later.)

Than, edit the Renderworks style you're using in the resource browser, or duplicate it and edit the duplicate, then in the Background tab in the editing pane, select the new colored one you created. It can be any color you want and will be unaffected like the physical sky ones are by Heliodon objects etc.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I want the Viewport to show a standard background (sunny sky with some cloud), I don't particularly want a solid colour.

I have the Viewport set to Background Render>Renderworks Style>Realistic Exterior Final.

Under View, I have selected Set Renderworks Background>HDRI Sky Day Mostly Sunny.

In the Edit pane for Realistic Exterior Final, I have both background options set to HDRI Sky Day Mostly Sunny.

Yet for all that, the background shows as a solid grey.

Other perspective exterior viewports are set up the same way and show the background correctly, so I don't understand why a ortho projection in a viewport is different.

Ortho vs Perspective changes the part of the physical sky you will see. If it isn't showing as you want, you can also choose a custom image or color from the Renderworks Background edit. But the Physical sky option is the least controllable, if you don't want the effect you get with it, use Panoramic Image, Image or one/two color to get what you're looking for..

Why not just create your own background.

Go to Resourse browser and create new resource and select new background. Select image and browse the the image of the sunset you have saved.

Then go to View set background and select your background name and then all you have to do is position your model in front of it.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell