2016 Random Crashing

I had an issue today that I'd not yet seen:

I have three door alternatives in a curtain wall.

I duplicate the original two times then change the classes to a set of Classes called "Vestibule Alt- #1, -#2 & -#3".

No changes to At #1

Change doors to bi-part double door 2438mm wide (Alt #2)

Attempt to Change doors to double acting double wide door with a 2438mm wide (Alt #3)

CRASH. Restart & attempt. Crash. Restart computer & programme attempt & crash. Shut Computer down. Come back hours later & attempt - Crash.

Work around: Open a new blank file. Create Alt #3 door save as symbol. Save & Close. Import Symbol & use the symbol as my Alt #3 door.

8 - )

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Copying data from a worksheet causes a crash.

Hello;

I get crashes with Vectorworks 2016 right after saving the file (to an existing file) and then trying to use the flyover tool 3D.

This is not random as it happens every time.

My work-around is to use another tool first, then all is well. It feels like a system glitch.

Vectorworks 2016 Architect/Renderworks

MacBookPro Retina 15 Mid 2015 / 16G / 550G flashdrive / 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

El Capitan 10.11.2

Toronto, Canada

I had an issue today that I'd not yet seen:

I have three door alternatives in a curtain wall.

I duplicate the original two times then change the classes to a set of Classes called "Vestibule Alt- #1, -#2 & -#3".

No changes to At #1

Change doors to bi-part double door 2438mm wide (Alt #2)

Attempt to Change doors to double acting double wide door with a 2438mm wide (Alt #3)

CRASH. Restart & attempt. Crash. Restart computer & programme attempt & crash. Shut Computer down. Come back hours later & attempt - Crash.

Work around: Open a new blank file. Create Alt #3 door save as symbol. Save & Close. Import Symbol & use the symbol as my Alt #3 door.

8 - )

I am not able to replicate these crashes from the information provided. Make sure you are contacting your support teams directly with these issues and are sneding them the files as well unless you have already done so:

http://www.vectorworks.net/international/

However, many of these could be file specific, in which case support will likely have suggestions on how to transfer into a clean new document, or other suggestions on a case by case basis.

You may have a point about this being file specific. The Template that is being used was created over several iterations of the Programme. While the Template used has been Batch Converted from a 2014 file, some elements may be pre-V2014. Also I note some of the Fonts used (in the tile block) are not available & have been replaced by the OS so perhaps these combinations may produce conflicts.

I have been considering producing a new Template from scratch & reference in some of the elements from the old Template. My fear is that some of the symbols may also be the cause of some the conflicts as some symbols may be as old as V2012 or 2010.

Edited by Jim Smith

I recommend creating new templates from scratch every 3-4 years or so. Its a reality that after a number of version upgrades, they get a little odd. I submit bugs on this as they are caught, but often they're so file specific that we aren't able to replicate the issues clearly enough to correct them.

This can be alleviated somewhat by using referenced resources in a template instead of adding them to the template directly, but thats more of a question of workflow. You CAN do both its just a matter of giving it a bit of a clean up every few versions.

• 1 month later...

For anyone still experiencing this, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you increase your error reporting setting to the maximum level, then restart Vectorworks as described here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1380/Error+Reporting+and+Detailed+User+Logs

These detailed logs will significantly increase our ability to detect and correct the source of these types of issues.

ok, error reporting set to "send crash details and usage patterns" ..watch your crash detection inbox

most of my crashes seem to occur during "Command+Save", some days are much better than others & some files seem more stable than others (then again, that might just be my imagination).

the crashing becomes maddening some days—2015 was supremely stable for me. i use VW strictly for 2D drafting

TIA

Edited by SDG

Hey all

Yes random crashing has just started on my MB Pro, it seems to be linked to when I upgraded to El Capitan last week. I am running the same on my desktop iMac will report when back in the office.

Extremely frustrating as I have multiple plans to knock out this week..

Edit: Forgot to say a BIG hello to the forum - the crashing is what made me join this forum to find a solution. I'm an EX AutoCAD user and have been using VW for 14 months now :grin:

Edited by LX1
  • 3 weeks later...

VW 2016 suddenly started crashing on me for no apparent reason. It doesn't seamed to be linked to any specific command. Sometimes when I'm save, sometimes when I'm updating viewport renders, sometimes when I switch to a different sheet. I've attached the apple crash report. Hopefully it will help.