Right Click Class or Layer Turn Off

Ozzie

Question

15 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It might be too much for ALL of those options to be first-order in the contextual menu, since you basically need 6, Class and Layer with 3 visibility states each.

Would two new options in the contextual menu, each with 3 sub options work?

Right Click >

Class Visibilities >

-On

-Grey

-Off

Right Click>

Layer Visibility >

-On

-Grey

-Off

Yes, that would work, but only off would be sufficient too. If you do include the grey option then you would need all three submenu items.

The main purpose of this request is to hide the class that is getting in the way for whatever reason during editing or viewing. If a class is made grey it may still be getting in the way, so I'm not so sure if the grey option would be that useful within this context, and then the on option could be left out as well.

Just thinking out loud from my perspective why I would like to hide classes (or layers) in an easy way.

There is always the option to turn on a class/layer relatively quickly through the navigation palette. But hiding through right-clicking an object in a class or layer is more efficient than using the navigation palette.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Its also occurs to me that "On" would be stupid since you cant right-click on an object that... isn't visible. The Visibility Tool can temporarily reveal all classes and layers but if one is already using that tool thats not the point of the request.

Submitting it now!

Hi,

I have created two Toolsets which is similar to the Visibility Tool, with the difference that each option (turn on/off class/layer, make class/layer active or invisible) can be accessed individually.

These tools are a bit more 'direct' than the visibility tool as they can be assigned with a one-key shortcut so that they very easy to activate.

The toolsets are available for download this from this URL: https://www.smartpaste.co.uk/#free-tools

I hope this can be useful!

Have you used the Visibility tool? Similar to the request, it allows for a quick, interactive way of changing the visibility of classes/layers simply by clicking on objects.

Thanks for mentioning this had forgotten that it could also be used to turn classes off by clicking on an object in that class.

However... the visibility tool should be updated to indicate which classes have their visibility set to "OFF" so that we can select an object to turn that class on again.

Currently it will show all classes as visible when you temporarily show all classes, which may require a bit of repeat toggling to find the objects for which you want to turn the class visibility back to on.

A right click to turn a class/layer off would still be useful from an efficiency perspective though.

Try holding down the "V" key while in the tool. That should temporarily show hidden classes, allowing you to click objects to turn those classes back on.

I know about that, my "problem" with this tool is that depending on the number of objects and classes it may be hard to tell the difference which objects are on a class that has its visibility set to off and which objects are on a class that has its visibility already set to on.

When you use the "V" key all objects show up as if their class is on. So to make this really useful using the "V" key in this tool should show the difference between classes that area already on and classes that are "off" so that you when you click on multiple objects that are in multiple "off" classes you can tell the difference. Otherwise you need to keep pushing and releasing the "V" key after clicking on every object in order to find the objects which classes are still "off" which my be quite a bit of a hassle.

It might be nice if the visibility tool would also have the option to temporarily "revert" visibility of classes/layers so that you can click on multiple objects in multiple classes to turn their visibility "on" in one go if the above approach of showing the difference between "on" and "off" classes (or layers) is less easy to implement..