Improve Texture Mapping Capabilities (UV Mapping)

rDesign

Question

10 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

No changes to that area this year. We wanted to focus more on existing systems that needed improvement this year and held off on introducing too very many new ones. However, this request is still in our sights.

Thank you for the reply.

This of course is an existing system that needs improvement. I apologise for beating this subject to death but in the UK VW is the most used tool for Interior Design and although I do not understand your company's inner workings I am sure you know much better than I do how to run you business. As an experienced render person you know that Lighting and Texturing can take a below average offering and make it look great. The converse is also true and the current methods are stone age in comparison to so many other products.

Thank you again

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, barkest said:

This of course is an existing system that needs improvement.

I think we need to replace the current one completely, it's so far from being able to do the detail needed for advanced product modeling and interior design that I'm firmly in the Star Over camp. To be clear: I don't disagree with you, as the resident rendering fanatic on my team I'm first in line for requesting Renderworks upgrades.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Altivec said:

after waiting decades, I have ultimately given up hope of ever seeing this. 

Having to create a separate plane to texture a stair landing is ridiculous. C4D is just as bad with BP and everyone over there is as equally confused as to why there have been no updates for years. In the meantime users have provided their own solutions. I have a few dollar plugin to do what BP does not do. The point is that if some guy in his bedroom can create a solution.........

• Like 2
On 9/12/2018 at 12:03 PM, PVA - Jim said:

No changes to that area this year. We wanted to focus more on existing systems that needed improvement this year and held off on introducing too very many new ones. However, this request is still in our sights.

No improvement to texture mapping in Vw2020, so hopefully this request is still in their sights.

• Like 1
On 10/22/2015 at 3:26 PM, Kaare Baekgaard said:

+1

"Of course, you lose all Subdivison functionality once you convert it to a Generic Solid"

But not, of course, if you convert it to a regular solid.

There is a best practice for this:

Go to Front view.

Draw a small rectangle from bottom left and up.

Extrude it to 0.

Place it in front of the subdivision.

Send the rectangle to back.

Add solid the rectangle and the subdivision.

Apply texture - in any other mode than perimeter, the texture is now oriented according to the extruded rectangle, and can be easily scaled and repositioned with the attribute mapping tool.

Enter the solid.

Delete the extruded rectangle.

Exit the solid - the mapping remains the same.

And the subdivision can still be edited, but if you ungroup the solid, the texture mapping is lost.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1