Auto-Classing in 2016

Is there a way to overrule any of the AutoClassing that seems to run rampant in VW2016? For example, I have my own class that I like to put soft-goods onto. A class that even when I have active as I'm dripping a curtain, doesn't matter because the curtain auto-drops to the "softgoods" class. Yes, I know I can move things after-the-fact, but that seems like an unnecessary extra step.

Thanks

I've tried to change auto-classing in the the plugin manager, the problem I ran into is that it either does not stick or if you don't pay attention it ends up in the original classes.

On top of that, the original classes will still be in the document and not always deletable. (at least in 2015)

It is one reason why I switched back to the US version from the Dutch version, as not every client can understand Dutch but all of them can understand English.

It should be possible to disable auto-classing completely. Especially when you have project/standards defined classes to adhere to auto-classing is really annoying to deal with.

Edited by Art V

The AutoClassing of the Spotlight objects has been improved. eg. Soft Goods, Stage Lift, Stage Deck etc. (Thankyou Andrew)

The method is to set your preferred class in the Tool Preference before you place the object. Now every time you use that tool it will invoke your chosen class. Pretty cool.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13049&filename=AutoClassing.png

The AutoClassing of the Spotlight objects has been improved. eg. Soft Goods, Stage Lift, Stage Deck etc. (Thankyou Andrew)

The method is to set your preferred class in the Tool Preference before you place the object. Now every time you use that tool it will invoke your chosen class. Pretty cool.

In experimenting a little more, I think there may be a bug here.....

This behaviour of the Softgoods tool is different than the Softgoods 2 tool (I've been a supporter of Andrew's tools for years. They are awesome!). With the Softgoods 2 tool, the curtain object is inserted in the active class unless its specified as bcd describes and activated by the Class Soft Goods Parts checkbox. I think this is a way better default. There doesn't seem to be a way to insert an object with the included Softgoods tool into the active class..... which I would consider a bug.

The Plug-In Manager doesn't work for everything (drawing labels for example) but it is a workaround for some things. I wish all default classes were controlled in the same way and in the same place for all tools. Too much messing around... I really appreciate that all of Andrew's tools work in the same way.

Kevin

Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses, I'll try to see what I can do.

This makes sense, but what if I don't want it always on ONE class? What if I want things just to drop to the Active class? I use the masking tool for masking - so that's one class - but sometimes I also use it as part of a set.

Is there not just a way, hidden in some preference pane, to switch off auto classing?

What if I want things just to drop to the Active class?

Well, for soft goods I would just invest in Andy's Producers Pack which contains the Softgoods 2 tool which behaves that way (see above). Its not that expensive and has lots of other value added features. As I said above I feel like the current behaviour should be bug submitted. Or maybe someone can tell us if its working as intended (Jim? Andy? Kevin?)

Is there not just a way, hidden in some preference pane, to switch off auto classing?

Not that I'm aware of.... not a bad wishlist item.

Kevin

First...many thanks to Kevin for the kind words. MUCH-appreciated.

Second, there are 2 things at-play here:

- The functionality Brian references is the "Parts Classing" that is common to all of the Landru Design tools. This has nothing to do with the Class to which an object is assigned when placed and simply lets users desiring more control Class the "sub" parts of the PIO instance (hardware, text, the actual curtain, solenoids, etc.). The improvement he mentions is the ability to define the Sub-Class' "Master Prefix" before enabling the toggle, helping users to avoid unwanted Classes.

- The behavior Benjamin references is specific only to the stock 2016 Spotlight versions of the tools and is working as-designed. This behavior assigns Classes to "overall" objects upon insertion based on a preset Class structure and is echoed by the stock Spotlight Lighting Device Symbols. The Landru Design versions of the tools simply assign the Active Class (unless a user intentionally sets the Default Class in the Plug-in Manager).

If this new behavior is troubling to you, I recommend submitting a bug report and/or presenting your concerns in a way that Jim can enter feedback on your behalf.

That help to clarify things, at-all?

I just found this issue and nearly blew a gasket looking for the Off Switch. (Thanks for the tip Kevin)

I expected to see this in the Spotlight Preferences with the Lighting setting. Was the thought of another tab there so scary? My preference is for an option to class or not, for every tool! Yes that's a long list but it has it's uses.

Imagine if out the box you got classes for walls, doors, stairs, roofs and even lines and texts. One place where you could set defaults or turn them off. Alternatively there could be a tool option for classing. That would make it pretty easy to see what was about to happen and quickly set you want.

• 5 months later...

I don't think it works with Architect either, although I have it turned off, it still puts in plug-in objects to predefined classes, invoked within the plug-in code I'm assuming. I'm in the process of creating my own standard naming translation to the ClassNameStds worksheet (which appears when once you enable auto-classing I believe) , has anyone had any luck with creating their own translation (language/standard classing names) and get it to work?

Edit: Actually, did the ClassNameStds worksheet got altered between 2015/2016? Anybody know what would happen to 15' file with that worksheet inside once it is converted to 16'? Thanks...

Edited by sle7en7
Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

For the most part, I just turn Auto-Classing OFF. It does not support the granularity needed for many of the "modern" wall styles, etc and you end up fighting...some of the PIOs have "hard coded" class info built in which you (and I) are unable to change.

This is one of the things I'd like to get in front of the "powers" here on the mother ship such that an elegant solution can result in proper office standards using a "new" Auto-Classing arrangement.

Wes

Hi,

Using Vectorworks Architect Australia, I have seen auto-classing in 2016 break in most cases. In 2015 it was mostly fine. Objects like stairs, spaces and terrain models, that previously worked fine, all broke.

Hundreds of hours developing a class standard (based on VwArch.sta) for our studios to assist the newer Vectorworks users currently down the drain. Surely this can get sorted out in an upcoming SP?

Hi Wes,

I would be keen to know what this solution might look like?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for improved autoclassing which can be easily switched to company standards or turned off entirely. It doesn't seem to do either at present!

It's so frustrating having spent ages setting up an office template to comply with the UK BIM class standards that I see users files a 'roof-main' class or a 'ceiling-overhead' class.

I've even tried playing around with the autoclassing standards in our template: http://app-help.nemetschek.net/2015/NNA/eng/index.htm#t=VW2015_Guide%2FSetup%2FStandard_Naming.htm&rhsearch=standard%20naming&rhhlterm=standard%20naming&rhsyns=

but cannot get it to work in the slightest.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

Ive just read through this entire thread in the hope that someone knows how to TURN OFF AUTO CLASSING. 

There is only one option shown which is:

On 2015-10-16 at 5:14 PM, Vincent C said:

Auto classing can be switched on and off here: File>Document Settings>Standard Naming

However this option doesnt seem to exist in VW 2016. 
Does anyone else know how to turn off auto classing???

Cheers

• 10 months later...