Document Sheet Numbers - Convention?

Generally I'm just sending one drawing set, so will just label in order --e.g. 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3.

In architecture you have multiple disciplines merging files into one drawing set for contract documents and DOB submission. Typically, in theater, every department just produces its own drawing set, so all the drawings would be in the same section anyway. We also don't have the scores of pages you find in architectural packages.

If you are coming more from a events or production management perspective, you might differentiate by department. I haven't really seen much of a standard, but I think typically the organization would be for internal coordination, so whatever makes sense for your organization. I've also seen numbers to differentiate -- 100 for set, 200 for lx, 300 for sound, 400 for rigging, etc.

-Josh

• 3 weeks later...

This discussion is. I hope others will speak up about how they work.

Because I use the publish function and print to pdf, I find that using the name of the show in the number (i.e. [Corporate company name] 1) it will auto name the pdf file with both the show name and the drawing name. This makes my show files more organized.

I'm generally a bit disorganised but try to use something along the lines of:

[sHOW NAME] [sUB SHOW] [DEPARTMENT] V[VERSION MUMBER]. [REVISION NUMBER] [PLOT SIZE] [sCALE]

So it Might be

'Alitalia Reveal Main Room LX V3.1 A1 1_100'

for rendering i tend to use a camera name ie

'CAM REAR Stage Left'

I also tend to keep past versions in a 'bin' folder within the project folder otherwise i get myself in a real mess

of course the more frequent and ridiculous the client's requests get the less organised I become.