VW has stopped backing up

I am using VectorWorks 11 on Windows XP Professional. After a crash caused by a power failure I found the drawing I was working on had not saved during the whole session. This has happened before but copying from the VW back up folder and using this to replace the working document would mean a maximum of 5 mins lost work. I now find that VectorWorks back up is not working at all. I have checked the VW preferences and the automatic back is showing checked (I have amended this to 1min) but it is still not working. The VW back up folder has documents in it but these are old versions of drawing which are no help. I am now relying on manually copying drawings into the back up folder and into a separate hard disk, but this defeats to object of having automated back up.

Can anyone please help.

Kind regards

Francis Turner

Professional Architect user.

Is the backup to one folder for all drawings or to a subfolder in the same folder as the active drawing?

If the former, i.e. one general backup folder for all drawings, you may want to check if this folder has its attribute set to read-only. In that case Vectorworks will not be able to save a backup at all. Removing the read-only attribute should then solve your problem.

Edited by Art V
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Art V and mac@stairworks,

Thanks for your prompt replies. To add to my original information, the default setting which I have used is a VW back up folder in each project folder, so this is easy to hand should it be needed. I am not sure how I would check if the path to this folder could be changed. The way it is set is: In the VectorWorks Preferences under the Session tab, Autosave is ticked and set for 1 minute and 'Save to separate file in back up folder' is also ticked. There do not appear to be any other options here apart from 'Confirm before Save'.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Francis Turner

Your default setting for the backup folder is fine, that is how I set it too to keep it manageable.

There should be an option to set the number of recent backup copies to be kept as well. If that is missing then it looks like something is wrong with the program itself, maybe as a result of the crash.

You could try to do a repair from the installer and see if that does help.