Optimising Workflow (Quick Builds and Fast Renders)

Hi,

I work in the design dept for a Playground Design company. My job is to get plans banged out and sent off within 0.5 - 2 days. Below is an example of something I'd get out within that time. (right click and view image to see full size)

kwk0ZDQ.jpg

I'm looking to increase the speed at which I can get these plans out, and I've been creating symbols out of all of our products that has saved considerable amounts of time.

If I could, I'd love to spend more time adding in surrounding buildings, etc, but a lot of the time it is time constraining and I just don't have time. Building fences (for example) can add a lot of time, and I'd like to be able to draw a line and then have it build a (better quality) fence based on my textures and post symbols.

We also have Canopies (seen middel top of image) that have to fit existing spaces, so are bespoke builds. At the moment I don't bother with the guttering as it takes quite a bit of time to model it out, and we don't feel it adds that much more value.

Basically I'd like to be able to specify lengths/dimensions of an object with a polyline, and have Vectorworks build it based on those constraints. This may not be possible, but there might be some areas that I can do something like this.

Are there any tools I am missing that could help me build repeating fence lines quickly? Are there any other suggestions out there to speed up what I am doing? Custom scripts, etc?

I also use fairly low render settings, but our models are not generic solids and so contain a lot of the build history. Will turning everything into generic solids in a scene like this help consierably with VW performance and rendering?

Many thanks,

Jon.

P.s We are using Vectorworks Designer 2016

Edited by Jonny S

Hi,

You could certainly do all your fences and handrails with draw handrail from the Furn/Fixtures pallet.

The Chain extrude is very good for doing repetitive things like canopies and pergolas. (bit hard to get the hang of it but once you do you can create some quick things.

Any repetitive items are best set up as symbols as they will keep your files smaller. I am sure you only have a finite number of items you place in the park so this is probably the best way to go.

You can scale the symbols also without making another symbol.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell