importing obj file missing textures

i have just purchased a model from turbosquid when i import it brings in the file ok but at a ridiculously small scale..... layer scale set to 1:50 the width of the object i know to be 2000mm....its a model of a car

its imported it as 89mm and will not bring in the materials....the file and all of the materials are in 1 folder.....and like my previous post bring the model in on its side.....i cannot see a setting anywhere to change the scale on the import....

Hello

Have *.mtl file with that obj?

mtl store paths to textures and info about materials, you can easy edit to make own paths to textures

yes, a few editors/converters has option to in-built mat-info to obj file

Edited by Ilay

hi has the mtl file in the folder

so tried it another way...imported the obj file into artlantis my render engine

came in with all the textures and standing on 4 wheels and not on its side....exported the file as an another obj file and tried the import into vectorworks...came in the the textures ok but still on its side and not on all 4 wheels as it was showing in artlantis......

saved the car as a symbol my 3d conversion res is set to medium and the file size without anything else is 1.3gig

hi and thanks..... yes i have but really shouldn't need to be exporting and re-importing when this is being offered by vectorworks as a new feature....

i forgot, sorry

anyway i import meshes: several landscape meshes with baked texture in c4d

yeah got a few freezes

Phil hunt said:
i have just purchased a model from turbosquid when i import it brings in the file ok but at a ridiculously small scale..... layer scale set to 1:50 the width of the object i know to be 2000mm....its a model of a car

its imported it as 89mm and will not bring in the materials....the file and all of the materials are in 1 folder.....and like my previous post bring the model in on its side.....i cannot see a setting anywhere to change the scale on the import...

Phil-

1) the reason the OBJ model is importing flipped on its side is because Vectorworks does not let you set the YZ-axis orientation during OBJ import; Some 3D file formats use Y-up while others use Z-up. When importing and exporting OBJ files, there should be a check box to 'Swap YZ Orientation' to fix this problem. See your other related thread where JimW said he submitted this as a wish-list item:

Importing OBJ files into v2016

2) Since OBJ import also doesn't allow you to set the model import scale units, you can't set the proper import scale. Setting layer scale to 1:50 or whatever before importing doesn't make a difference, as you discovered.

I believe that you have to set File > Document Settings > Units to match the units of the OBJ you are importing. You may also have to set the design layer scale to full scale (1:1) before importing the OBJ. (I haven't fully tested this workflow out, but I believe that should work).

HTH.

Edited by rDesign

Yes I have discovered the sizing issue not a problem as I can use the scale tool to enlarge the model....it's the material import I can't understand. If I bring in the turbo squid model there are no textures.....says the materials are missing but they are in the same folder as the obj file.... But as I said import/export from Artlantis to obj file then brings the materials in OK. But the file size of 1.3gig is unworkable it's just taking an age to manipulate the file....so I have had to revert to using Artlantis as I can't afford anymore time....shame cause I wanted to start using VW as my render program.......

I think you should send your example geometry to VW support.

Then they can find a way to make it work for Turbosquid too.

I think current OBJ support, C4D has made improvements too, was more

thought for 3D printing in mind than complex 3D geometry exchange as

OBJ was used for a decade ago.

Should try again a Modo OBJ too.

(Last attempt was Y-up too)

Edited by zoomer