Integrate 'Extend Nurbs' into the Push/Pull tool + more

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

I use the extend nurbs command quite often, but it is a somewhat clumsy element in a workflow.

I wish the I could just point on an edge of a nurbs surface with the push/pull toll - and push/pull it (or at least pull it). The 'move face' mode would correspond to the 'smooth extension' mode of the extend nurbs command and the 'extrude face' mode would correspond to the 'linear extension' mode.

Also I wish I could use the loft tool between existing edges of objects – without first having to extract the curves.

Finally I wish there was two additional modes on the connect/combine tool, where the edges of the two selected nurbs surfaces would extend to the place where the surface planes cross each other. – One mode would be for straight extensions and the other mode for smooth extensions.

I hope these wishes are understandable :)

6 answers to this question

+1

Nurbses (how do you spell that? :) ) can use an overhaul.

Make them more interactive, like C4D with the lathe, sweep, extrude, and loft command. Then you have the ability to edit the profiles after you made the loft.

ability to create bigger/complicated surfaces who dont split in 2 separate surface so you can use them in the surface array command.

+1

Nurbses (how do you spell that? :) ) can use an overhaul.

Make them more interactive, like C4D with the lathe, sweep, extrude, and loft command. Then you have the ability to edit the profiles after you made the loft.

ability to create bigger/complicated surfaces who dont split in 2 separate surface so you can use them in the surface array command.

I use the extend nurbs command quite often, but it is a somewhat clumsy element in a workflow.

I wish the I could just point on an edge of a nurbs surface with the push/pull toll - and push/pull it (or at least pull it). The 'move face' mode would correspond to the 'smooth extension' mode of the extend nurbs command and the 'extrude face' mode would correspond to the 'linear extension' mode.

Also I wish I could use the loft tool between existing edges of objects – without first having to extract the curves.

Finally I wish there was two additional modes on the connect/combine tool, where the edges of the two selected nurbs surfaces would extend to the place where the surface planes cross each other. – One mode would be for straight extensions and the other mode for smooth extensions.

I hope these wishes are understandable :)

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Push/Pull Tool works on 2D or 3D 'mesh' objects. NURBS surfaces are smooth mathematical representations of curves and surfaces.

So I'm guessing if the Push/Pull Tool were to work on NURBS surfaces, it might require converting it to a Mesh first, which would negate the benefits of using NURBS surfaces in the first place.

But I completely agree that the current means of editing NURBS could use some major improvements.

[For further reading, link to McNeel Rhino wiki article on Mesh -vs- NURBS and Rhino's MeshToNurb command ]

+1 that PPT does everything

The "middle" mode should keep Extrudes.

Just do an Polygon Edge Move when a side Face of an Extrude is selected,

or edit Extrude Height when PPT on Top Faces,

and maybe Move Extrude + edit Extrude Height when PPT the bottom face

of an Extrude.

If you PPT an Extrude now some times, you will get a bunch of nested

Solid Additions and Subtractions.