Renderworks 2016 "Edges" problem

• 4 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A few things, there are two distinct issues here (not just in this thread but in a few support tickets here as well):

Issue 1) Edges always APPEAR IN the rendering, even when Edges isnt checked in the render settings. This bug has been filed, reported and should be fixed in an upcoming SP.

Issue 2) "Edges" appears in the progress bar, even when Edge options are enabled. This is a result of physical rendering doing a pass on any non-filled objects. It is new to 2016 with physical rendering but SHOULD NOT significantly increase render times over previous versions.

As a result of the upgrades in 2016, there is actually the Edges phase (which actually draws, you know, edges) and then another phase called Edges which may be called something like "Filling Unsolid Polys" in the future to alleviate confusion.

However, IF you are seeing that this Edges phase is contributing a significant amount to your rendering time and you do not have Edges enabled, please post here or send me a file where that occurs: tech@vectorworks.net ATTN Jim. Engineering would like to get there hands on a sample where this is significantly slowing down renders.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a massive problem with Edges and I have managed to narrow it down to NURBS surfaces.

I had a couple on the front of a structure I am designing for somebody and it takes almost the same time to run the Edges phase as the render.

If I render the rear view, where you cannot see the NURBS surfaces it is done in seconds.

And, for the avoidance of doubt, the surfaces are filled with standard Renderworks textures and not empty.

I cannot post the file here because it is for a client sadly.

Cheers,

Matt

• 1 month later...

Having an issue with an additional 20 minutes or so of render time due to the Edges process.

After reading this thread, I wonder if maybe one of my area lights could be responsible? Simple rectangle converted to an area light then used in a symbol around 37 times (really doesn't take that long to render, maybe ten minutes until it hits the edges phase). The area lights have their stroke turned off, so I would have though that would have deactivated the edges phase?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

No unfortunately. If the object is included in the viewport at all it could absolutely still be counting as planar geometry. You might be able to use a 3D object with a glow texture instead of an area light if its becoming enough of an issue in the meantime:

Okay, this is interesting...

I have a symbol with an area light, which I though was causing problems. After a bit of mucking around, I found that the issue seems to lie within our document template?!

File 1

New blank document

Pasted an object into design layer

Created viewport with standard settings

Changed to Final Quality RW

Rendered without Edges

File 2

New from our companies document template (same template since 2014)

Pasted an object into design layer

Created viewport with standard settings

Changed to Final Quality RW

Rendered WITH Edges

Would you know what could cause this Jim? I can send you the document template if required.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Any news on this front?

Even in 2017 I'm getting an "Edges" phase which adds anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to every viewport render, and I render Viewports many many times in a day so it adds up. It's the last phase and it never seems to make the viewport "look" any different.

I don't (purposefully) have any un-filled geometry in my model.

It'd be great if there were more information provided on this phase - why it's necessary and what it actually does. Perhaps a visual example of when it's serving its purpose. And perhaps a way to manually turn it off in RW Styles?

• 5 months later...