VW lighting symbols have too many classes

HI all,

I'm not sure if this should go here or should be a "request," but I figured I'd start here. I hate how all of the lighting symbols that you can browse in VW16 all come in with their own classes - and some of them with MULTIPLE classes. I have my documents set up and classed pretty specifically in regards to how they take graphic attributes as well as what classes are on or off within saved views and viewports. So all the addition of these extra class - ESPECIALLY when the symbols are set to insert to their own specific classes - is just adding extra work for me to undo all of that extra classing. Is there any way to put the symbols all back on the "none" class like they were and restore them to inserting on the active class without having to go through file by file, and symbol by symbol?

What is the benefit of all of this extra classing?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I like some of the classing in symbols to help control the display. For me that's usually text and fills.

The best way I know to eliminate classes it to edit the referenced files. Open one at a time and delete the classes you don't like. You will get a dialog asking what to do with objects on the classes. Make your choice and save the file.

The one area I know this doesn't work is with 'parametric objects' like doors, windows, some event objects, softgoods and label legends. These have classes built into their coding so they will just recreate any classes that are deleted or renamed. Not my favorite feature!

Just tested in a new file with some stock symbols. Yeah...lots of classes get added. Not a fan of that.

But, the worst part is that these classes don't even take on class attributes, so you can't set line thicknesses or color fills.

This is the reason I make my own symbols, so that everything has a uniform look.

Just tested in a new file with some stock symbols. Yeah...lots of classes get added. Not a fan of that.

But, the worst part is that these classes don't even take on class attributes, so you can't set line thicknesses or color fills.

This is the reason I make my own symbols, so that everything has a uniform look.

They do take class attributes, but what I've found it that not only do they come in with classes assigned, they are all also default set to drop on their own specified class. So you have to move the units to the class you want. Or import the symbol, edit it's Symbol Insertion Options and set it to the desired class (or Active Class), THEN drop the symbol into the file.

such a pain!