VW 2015 Not registering mouse clicks.

CarlJdP

For a few months now my VW2015 is not registering all mouse clicks. I have tried different mice, same problem. All drivers are installed and VW is up to date.

It is most noticeable when:

-trying to select objects one-by-one

-trying to select objects with the selection rectangle

-panning with the middle mouse button.

-trying to click the exit group / exit symbol / exit viewport crop / exit viewport annotations buttons - usually works after about 3 clicks

-just after a group / symbol / viewport edit has been exited

-switching design layers / classes on and off through the Navigation pallet - sometimes requires 2 clicks almost as if window focus has to be moved from the VW window to the Nav pallet

It seems that VW works fine for about 6-10 clicks and then misses the next 2 - 3 clicks, and then the cycle repeats.

I have also tested these mouse functions/buttons extensively in other applications without any problems. The 'missed' clicks only occur in VW.

Restarting the computer or VW does not help. I have ensured there are no viruses, malware or spyware on the computer. I have checked recently installed software - nothing questionable found.

System:

Asus Z87-Deluxe, i7 4770 stable @ 4.1Ghz, 16GB DDR3, PCI-E SSD 512GB

nVidia GTX 780 3GB

Windows 8.1 Pro

Vectorworks 2015 Designer with Renderworks

Mouse: standard Microsoft wired usb Desktop 3 button wheel mouse

(multiple mice tried, same results)

Edited by cyCAD42

Did not notice this in behavior VW 2016 or earlier versions so far.

(OS X)

But for me it is like you say in C4D. More than 50% click loss,

but mainly in Object Manager only. Less in View Windows.

I'm on Mac, so I need a special mouse to have scroll wheel/middle button

that needs a special driver/kernel extension.

I wasn't successful with other mice vendors, so I still use my MS intelli mouse

explorer USB. I realized some small delay and some seldom missing clicks a

long time but nothing really disturbing.

Changing USB slot from Monitor/Keyboard to direct USB port didn't change

anything.

As I had Mice with broken sensors some times, I tried to exchange with some

of my spare Mice too, no difference.

A Problem I think of could be the Clicking Speed/Time :

- Windows drivers normally have a setting for Double Click speed, which I miss

in my driver for OSX. If set too low and you click/select too fast, it could be

interpreted as Double Click so it does not do what you want/expect.

- CAD Software sometimes differentiates internal between long/short Clicks,

like short click to select and long click to activate dragging.

F.e. Microstation has a "short" RMB to end Tool and went back to selection,

a "long" RMB for context menue.

This does no more work with my MS Mouse on OS X via Paralles.

So I think it is possible that small latency issues could lead to misinterpreted

or missing clicks.

- Clicking very fast seems to make a Click Loss more likely,

but a long Click does sometimes help but not in any cases though (C4D)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
For a few months now my VW2015 is not registering all mouse clicks. I have tried different mice, same problem. All drivers are installed and VW is up to date.

It is most noticeable when:

-trying to select objects one-by-one

-trying to select objects with the selection rectangle

-panning with the middle mouse button.

-trying to click the exit group / exit symbol / exit viewport crop / exit viewport annotations buttons - usually works after about 3 clicks

-just after a group / symbol / viewport edit has been exited

-switching design layers / classes on and off through the Navigation pallet - sometimes requires 2 clicks almost as if window focus has to be moved from the VW window to the Nav pallet

It seems that VW works fine for about 6-10 clicks and then misses the next 2 - 3 clicks, and then the cycle repeats.

I have also tested these mouse functions/buttons extensively in other applications without any problems. The 'missed' clicks only occur in VW.

Restarting the computer or VW does not help. I have ensured there are no viruses, malware or spyware on the computer. I have checked recently installed software - nothing questionable found.

System:

Asus Z87-Deluxe, i7 4770 stable @ 4.1Ghz, 16GB DDR3, PCI-E SSD 512GB

nVidia GTX 780 3GB

Windows 8.1 Pro

Vectorworks 2015 Designer with Renderworks

Mouse: standard Microsoft wired usb Desktop 3 button wheel mouse

(multiple mice tried, same results)

Do you happen to have more than one display connected? I have done some testing here recently after more reports of selection/mousing issues when 2+ displays are involved.

Yes. Using 2 displays most of the time. Sometimes 3. All connected to my nVidia GTX 780

I use the latest drivers from nVidia - not Win update drivers, as since the launch of Win 10, Window's nVidia drivers have been known to cause a lot of blue screens :(

2 Displays definitely allows for a more efficient workspace - having the main window on one display and all my pallets of the second display.

For almost a year now I've experienced some strange and unexpected crashes on VW 2015. I have a very looong list of actions causing crashes - on average 5 crashes per day. I had the problem originally on Win 7, but not even a clean install of Win8.1 Pro and re-installing VW solved the problem.

I have also tried the option on my video card to span one video output over 2 physical displays. Resulting in windows seeing only one (very very widescreen) display connected to the computer - where the graphics card takes care of splitting the output. So success - still having crashes. Does this have something to do with the fact that VW only started supporting hi-res displays from VW 2016?

Strangely, Vectorworks staff themselves recommended to me that I use only one display to see if the crashes go away.. Unfortunately the nature and variety of my work doesn't allow me the luxury of disconnecting all other displays each time I need to start up VW.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Strangely, Vectorworks staff themselves recommended to me that I use only one display to see if the crashes go away.. Unfortunately the nature and variety of my work doesn't allow me the luxury of disconnecting all other displays each time I need to start up VW.

Once you have time to troubleshoot that, please do so and let me know the results. There are a myriad of issues that I suspect might be related to multiple displays.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem regardless of my display configuration. It misses clicks with one display or 2 displays. It misses clicks with a USB mouse or the built in trackpad.

Running VW2015 Service Pack 4 build 267997

Windows 7 Pro 64Bit with all drivers / windows updates installed and up to date

Asus Q550LF laptop

A Problem I think of could be the Clicking Speed/Time..

..CAD Software sometimes differentiates internal between long/short Clicks, like short click to select and long click to activate dragging.

I've noticed a decrease in missed-clicks when I enable the click-and-drag option in VW preferences. Yet this doesn't completely alleviate the problem.

..it is most noticeable while trying to exit a group/symbol/viewport/crop.

I also some times have to click on the exit button multiple times before it responds.

A further observation:

The missed-clicks seems to occur more when:

- left click > drag to select

- middle click > drag to pan

As if the click is mostly missed when the mouse pointer has started moving before you initiate the action. (I'm sure I can't be the only one who starts moving the pointer before i click for click-and-drag selecting objects?)

A work-around that seems to 'work' for now, is starting the action with the mouse in a static position, waiting for a moment, then commencing the drag - although this seems to work, it severely interrupts the fluency of the drawing process :(

A work-around that seems to 'work' for now, is starting the action with the mouse in a static position, waiting for a moment, then commencing the drag - although this seems to work, it severely interrupts the fluency of the drawing process :(

Scarp that suggestion! Doesn't work.. for instance:

- when I middle click and hold in a static position (to start panning), the pointer momentarily changes to the pan tool for a split second, and then returns to be the normal pointer, ignoring any further mouse input (although the pointer moves) until the button is released.

I've also noticed this behavior when pressing the 'alt' & '+' shortcut for the rotate tool, the pointer changes to the rotate tool for about a second and then switches back to the select tool without any user input. so I can't use the rotate tool unless I choose it from the basic tools palette. This only happens 50& of the time, the other times the shortcut works just fine.

Edited by psyCAD