Focus Point Understanding

Carrie C.

I am new to Vectorworks so forgive me if this has been answered though I have looked and not found one.

I am using the Focus Point Tool and setting the Focus Point shape I used the default setting, however it show’s (and I can’t show you the entire list but I have the attachment) focus 5ft circle or square, 7ft circle or square etc., 8ft circle or square, and of course the standard hybrid, 2D & 3D, and locus points only. Is this only referring to how the Focus Point is being displayed or is it what is being shown for the beam and field size?

For example: I'm use to manually calculating the size of the beam and field from the distance of a fixture to the object. When I use an ETC 26 deg for example in the default mode meaning “standard hybrid” is this showing me the "actual" coverage (of course at what height I set) of this fixture? Or do I need to go back and set the perimeters?

Also, I was wondering about the falloff distance; can someone tell me if I have this right. Is it where the light begins to reach its furthest point and you can cut the beam off?

Lastly, what is locus point?

Please by all means if there is an index I can use other than what is being provided by "Vectorworks Help" I would be happy to be pointed in that direction.

Thank you for your patience.

CC

I am using the Focus Point Tool and setting the Focus Point shape I used the default setting, however it show’s (and I can’t show you the entire list but I have the attachment) focus 5ft circle or square, 7ft circle or square etc., 8ft circle or square, and of course the standard hybrid, 2D & 3D, and locus points only. Is this only referring to how the Focus Point is being displayed or is it what is being shown for the beam and field size?

The circle size doesn't have anything to do with the light's beam size. It's a visual cue for you when plotting to show coverage of your areas - to make sure that you have enough areas/specificity to cover your stage.

Once you've dropped focus points THEN you can drop lights into the drawing and figure out the photometrics. When you have a light selected, go to the Object Info Palette. You'll find a field that says "Focus," enter the name of the focus point in that field. Then you can check the "Draw Beam" toggle, and you'll see the beam.

Also, I was wondering about the falloff distance; can someone tell me if I have this right. Is it where the light begins to reach its furthest point and you can cut the beam off?

I always think of the Falloff distance as the light past the Focus Point. The default Falloff distance is 5' (same as the default Focus Point height). So if you switch to Falloff, as opposed to Focus Point, then you'll see what the light'll look like when it hits the stage deck.

Locus points are points that you can use to snap objects to or set perimeters with. The great thing about them is they never show up when you print.

I hope that helps