Story Design Layers & Level Types

I did not think that Design Layers that are associated with Stories HAVE to have a Level Type assigned to them, yet, I am not able to create a Default Story Level without first assigning it a Level Type (if the Level Type is left as "" the "OK" button (or "Return") doesn't work...). This also happens if trying to change the Level Type of a Default Story Level to "".

(((I just found that in the Design Layers tab of the Organization window, the Level Type ("Story Level:") can successfully be changed to "", kinda confirming that Design Layers don't have to have a Level Type assigned to them...)))

Or am I completely missing something?...

Thanks! VWIS055

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A Default Story Level is a preset configuration that can be used to quickly set up and create levels when creating stories.

A default story level is like a definition of a level and it must have a level type. You cannot create a default story level with no level type ( level).

What would be the purpose of creating Default Story Levels with no level types ?

Edited by Hugues

"Default Story Level" is an unfortunate term, because Stories contain Design Layers as well as Level Types. The term for the preset configuration to quickly create a STORY should be something more like "Default Story Layers & Level Types," as it creates BOTH Design Layers AND Level Types.

While Design Layers contain objects, Level Types make it possible to link the Top and Bottom bounds of those objects to stories. Level Types can be associated with Design Layers, or (more recently I think), they don't need to be.

In the Design Layers tab of the Organization palette, Design Layers can be created without Level Types, and Level Types can even be deleted from Design Layers that are associated with Stories.

I typically just use one Level Type; everything that needs to stretch up or down when the elevation of a Story is changed is linked to it. The last thing I want is to have to manage a bunch of Level Types that I don't need.

So, the purpose of creating "Default Story Levels" with no Level Types is that we're really also creating default Design Layers, and those don't have to have Level Types (except for what appears to be a bug, in that the "" option is included in the Default Story Levels dialogue box, yet, it's not recognized as an option by this (and only this...) dialogue box.

Thanks for the response! (I believe Tech Support is submitting this as a bug).

• 5 years later...

Still, in VW 2021, I wish we could create Default Story Level (which are really default Design Layers with associated Level Types) without having to associate a Level Type with each default Design Layer (sorry, each "Default Story Level"...).  PLEASE make it so that when we're setting up Default Story Levels a Level Type is not required to proceed!!!  (i.e., make it so that when the Level Type is displayed as " < None > ", we can click on "OK" without being ignored).  Level Types can be deleted after the fact; please let us exclude them in the first place (so that we don't need a bunch of Level Types named "Delete 01," etc).  ((In my original post, I think all of the "" should have been " < None >"...)).  VWIS055

Looks like Tech Support submitted this in 2015 as a bug... ... ...