Cutting and Pasting within the 2d source component of an Extrude

I'm having all sorts of havoc when I cut and paste in the 2d source geometry portion of an extrude in VW 2016. It happens even if I force the view to Top/Plan view. Its almost impossible to paste in place. I'm also having things disappear completely. Its definitely related to screen plane / layer plane.

Its the same workflow I was using without issue in VW2015 so something has changed and not in a good way. It could also be related to working within symbols as all of the extrudes are also part of symbols but the problems don't seem to occur in the root level of the symbol only within extrudes or other 3d containers (ie. solid additions).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Kevin

Kevin - Is an extrude source object pasting in place to the location at which it was originally created? I'm seeing that, but that's not new to v2016.

Process in new blank vwx file:

Create an extrude, w source poly centered on layer plane. Move it in XY&Z including bot z is no longer on the layer plane. Enter this relocated extrude, copy the source poly, exit the extrude and Paste in Place. The pasted object displays centered on the layer plane, rather than coincident with bottom face of the extrude.

Same if the extrude is contained in a symbol.

Same in v2015

Or is this something else?

-B

• 2 months later...

I just started using 2016, and I'm having the same issues as Kevin with pasting the 2d profiles of extrudes in place... it doesn't happen. If I cut the 2d profile geometry, and then past in place... it doesn't paste it in place, but rather it pastes off of the coordinates where it was just cut from.

Kevin did you find a work around or some magic setting, or is this an issue with VW2016?

Edited by TimG

TimG - If I create an extrude at point A, then move it to point B, then enter the extrude and copy the source object, then exit the extrude, then Paste in Place - - If I do all that, the pasted object is located at point A, rather than point B.

This is not a problem unless the extrude is moved after creation.

It's counter intuitive, but not new to v 2016.

One workaround is to click the extrude with the inner boundary tool to create a new poly. No need to enter the extrude. New poly is at correct location/rotation, but adds vertices if extrude has curved edges. Class will be active class, not necessarily same class as the extrude source.

-B

Negative. What I'm trying to do I just tested and it works on my version of 2015 SP3... see my attached screen shot. I always (99.999%) of the time change the source object location of extrude along paths because I want to be held to a specific point as it follows the path... not the geometric center of the objects. (this is how I do all our interior and exterior trim and many other things. Did this change in 2015 SP4, and if so what was the reasoning !?!??!?

1.In 2015 SP3 I create extrude along path...

2. Then enter the profile edit mode of extrude along path object... adjust 2d geometry in relation to profile origin (which is where it relates itself along the path). I can then copy this geometry and paste it in any other extrude along path and it will paste in relation to the profile origin.

3. If I attempt this in 2016 it does not paste in relation to the profile origin as it used to.... which is cramping my style big time :P

can anyone else replicate, or is there a magical setting to switch back to being able to paste in relation to path origin?

I've tried the shortcut I have programed (opt+cmd+v) and the menu -> edit -> Pate in Place, with the same results...basically not able to paste in place for during profile editing... both paste objects in the same location everytime... but does not paste in place correctly in terms of how "paste in place" is supposed to work and has in past versions.

Did you try holding shift or alt, I believe one of them can be used to copy something in place which keeps the relative position.

OK, Confirmed.

I agree this is unexpected, but at least kinda logical. Didn't test with v2015, but remember something similar.

Testing this time with EAP

New blank file.

Enable pref for "See other objects in Edit Modes"

Draw a path (eg w/ polyline tool) that does not pass through the drawing origin.

Draw a profile with one corner on the drawing origin. eg a square.

Duplicate the square in Place (You'll see why in a mo)

Select the dupe and the path. Model>EAP

Edit the EAP>Profile. You can see:

1. The profile, centered at red/green EAP origin.

2. The gray outline of the 1st square with corner at drawing origin.

Stay in EAP edit mode and Copy the profile.

Paste in Place - it arrives with center at drawing origin, rather than corner at origin or coincident with profile object. (delete this copy)

Exit the edit mode.

Paste in Place.

The square arrives centered on drawing origin.

Horsing around a bit more:

Edit profile again.

Move profile so corner is on EAP origin.

Copy & Paste in Place.

It arrives coincident with gray source square at drawing origin.

Exit the EAP

Paste in Place

Object arrives coincident with the square.

I think if you want the Paste in Place to come in coincident you need to start the path object at drawing origin AND center the profile on drawing origin. Not optimal. The Paste in Place command must be equating the EAP origin and the Drawing origin even though they are offset.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
I just started using 2016, and I'm having the same issues as Kevin with pasting the 2d profiles of extrudes in place... it doesn't happen. If I cut the 2d profile geometry, and then past in place... it doesn't paste it in place, but rather it pastes off of the coordinates where it was just cut from.

Kevin did you find a work around or some magic setting, or is this an issue with VW2016?

Same here and it's super annoying! :)

I do this as a shortcut for making hybrid symbols and besides the paste in place issues, it usually doesn't pick up as a hybrid unless I change the plane mode of the 2d geometry to Screen manually - otherwise, it just creates a 3d symbol with the 2d data trapped inside of it. I fall for this every time.

I feel that screen/layer/symbol definition/3D plane is the culprit of a lot of this. I also teach vectorworks at New York University and this one function alone trips up all of my students.